Skip to main content

Week 1 Day 1 Blues





EVIL SOCK EATING SHOES!

At least that's how my shoes feel still. Maybe it's a Nike thing.

I tried to do W1D1 again today. This is the 4th try. I'm still not getting through it and I'm starting to get frustrated with the whole thing. But I need a goal and this is a doable one.
My feet are unevenly flat. I did a foot scan and my left is flatter than my right. So I think what I need is more arch support in my right shoe and to just break in my left shoe. My feet and calves hurt a whole lot less than they did with the other shoes. And my ankle doesn't ache at all. Good things.

The bad thing is that it's raining. I tried using a different treadmill, but I hated it. So I braved the rain. The back of my pants are soaked. It feels like as soon as I fix one problem, there's another one to deal with. I can't afford to keep up!
So I made a runner's wishlist and posted it as a sidebar thing. I'm sure there will always be something in it as I can never really figure this all out.

I feel like there's 3 really good things happening with this new workout choice.
I think the best thing about doing this is that I'm bound and determined to get somewhere. I had to sub yesterday and the day before and I won't run in the dark (daylight is pretty much the school day), so I used my downtime to walk laps around the classroom. I walked for half an hour. It's not the workout I wanted to do, but it's more than I would have done before.
The workout's forcing me to take days off. And I think that's what's going to make the difference in the long haul. I haven't burnt out on it yet, and it's not a chore. I don't have to sit and reason with myself whether I'm going to do something good for myself today. I just know that every other day, I'm going to run. The down days in between I spend wishing I could run. So when I get to run days, there's no negotiation because I'm so ready to do it again! Even when my run sucks (like today!), now I'm just waiting for Friday so that I can try again.
The last thing is that I am not gauging my success on changes in my body. If anything I've probably gained weight. I'm not worrying about food. I'm not worrying about my clothing size. I'm not weighing myself. I'm just doing what I'm doing. And that's all it has to be. I'm not letting the measure of my success be any of these things. I think that's where I've failed so many times in the past. These things take tons of time. Measuring the success of my exercise by the immediate gratification of the changes I see in my body is only going to work as long as I see changes. But if I don't see changes, I can't let that stop me.

I am entertaining the idea of going veggie for a week just to see how it feels. I almost made it through the day yesterday without having any meat, but as soon as I realized this, I ate some meatballs just to satisfy my worry about not having had much protein. It's amazing how we can convince ourselves we "need" something regardless of wether it's true or not. I'm not going to commit to this yet though. I think I want to wait until I can afford some groceries again and until I've run out of meat in my house. There's not much and we get paid soon, so it probably won't be long before I try this.

Comments

  1. I really needed to hear this today. I've been a work out machine lately (thanks to your inspiration) and I've not noticed the changes in my body that I hoped for. You've helped me to refocus. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethany,
    You know... I did week 1 for 2-3 weeks before moving on. Doing beat yourself up about not mastering it yet.

    Are you running too fast? Doo your best, that's all you can ask of yourself. I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so helpful! Thank you Julia. I don't think I'm running that fast, I feel like I'm dragging actually and I've been trying to keep from starting off too energetic and dying by the end. I just have to keep trying I think.

    I'm so glad I could inspire you Kristi!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Round 2 Day 21

After my hangover day this last week, I did a bunch of searching to figure out why. There were lots of helpful thoughts and suggestions on the Whole30 forum. I think for me, I probably wasn't eating enough - especially for breakfast. The meal template (which I never even heard of the first round) suggests that your protein at each meal should be the size of the palm of your hand, or fit in the palm of your hand. For me, this means 3 eggs rather than 1 or 2. I also started to add more fat to my meals because I'm supposed to be using a thumb sized amount in each meal. That's really a lot when you think about it. Making some small adjustments to my meals has helped. I read through some of my blog posts about going through this the first time around this same time. It's interesting because it wasn't better. For some reason my memory has me believing that 20 days in, I was cruising. I'm so glad I had this record to look back on. It reminds me that it's not as m

Round 2 Day 16

I wish this post had as much positive enthusiasm as the last, but it's been kind of a difficult week. I woke up this morning with a mild headache feeling like I had a hangover. I couldn't think straight and  just felt worn out. I put in for a sub for the morning and went back to bed. After some cold brew and Tylenol I forced myself to teach my afternoon classes, but I'm tired and still feel the pressure on my skull. Yesterday I woke up in a rage. Rage over the grocery shopping I spent the ENTIRE weekend trying to take care of. Rage over the food I couldn't eat to calm the rage. Rage over how I can't control anyone but myself. Rage over the stupidly over-positive encouraging crap in the day-to-day book I've been using. Shut up book! I'm mad and I want to be mad! I don't want to be told how I can fix it! I just want to be mad! These seem to be the monologues that keep going around and around in my head. Angry Feminist Monologue When did all of the g

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t