Skip to main content

Trying to Stay Positive!

http://nikerunning.nike.com/nikeos/p/nikeplus/en_US/plus/#//runs/detail/268666208/142001870//all/allRuns?sitesrc=fbk_ab_plus

The good news is my lungs are starting to keep up. One whiff on the really old albuterol seems to keep me breathing without pain.

The bad news is that I think I'm allergic to treadmills.
I started out by stretching my calves really well this time because I didn't want to get the shin splints again. They're still a bit sore to be honest. I did that and then I started the C25K on the treadmill.
I adjusted the grade to 7% at first and kind of played with it and found that 6% was pretty good. But once I started to just go, my calves started to hurt. And then my feet started to ache too. I stopped and stretched again to try to alleviate some of the tightness in my calves, but they just got worse. The arches in my feet hurt so bad I thought I would fall off the treadmill.

So I decided to try running outside in the blistering cold windchill. I tried to keep to the podcast program and alternate running and walking. My legs hurt less and my feet stopped hurting once I got outside. But since the damage had already been done so they weren't going to stop hurting altogether. I got a bit further with the workout and did a couple of laps back and forth in the parking lot in front of my building where the ground stays level. I got a bunch further with it, but I couldn't finish. The wind was too cold and my shins started to hurt.

I am so mad that I can't seem to get through this workout!! I really want to conquer it so badly! I was so much more eager to run yesterday but I made myself take the day off. Today I was much less motivated to do it. When I went down to the little gym at my complex all of the machines were occupied so I had to wait to go back. I think this took some of the wind out of my sails. I then bided my time by dealing with my bills. I can't get through my bills without being hysterical and crying with every person I talk to on the phone. I even got some relief from my phone calls and had two late fees reversed, but I was already a mess. This is the state I was in when I started my workout. I was upset and mad and just wanted to nail the thing!

Well, I guess I will have to just keep plugging at this first workout until I can get it. I'm not backing down now!
The downside is that I may have to exchange my awesome pink Nike's for some shoes that support my feet the right way. This wouldn't be so bad except that all of the shoes I've looked at that are for my flat feet tend to look like granny shoes. And I want to at least feel trendy if I'm going to be a chubby girl running around the parking lot!

Argh!

Comments

  1. I know what you mean. I get bad shin splints and bought the granny shoes last year. My hope was that by having the granny shoes I could exercise more and then people wouldn't even notice my feet, they would notice the new improved body! I'm still waiting for that to happen.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those shoes are crucial. Since it's your calves, your %grade might be to blame as well... Can you start with no grade and slowly work up?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Round 2 Day 21

After my hangover day this last week, I did a bunch of searching to figure out why. There were lots of helpful thoughts and suggestions on the Whole30 forum. I think for me, I probably wasn't eating enough - especially for breakfast. The meal template (which I never even heard of the first round) suggests that your protein at each meal should be the size of the palm of your hand, or fit in the palm of your hand. For me, this means 3 eggs rather than 1 or 2. I also started to add more fat to my meals because I'm supposed to be using a thumb sized amount in each meal. That's really a lot when you think about it. Making some small adjustments to my meals has helped. I read through some of my blog posts about going through this the first time around this same time. It's interesting because it wasn't better. For some reason my memory has me believing that 20 days in, I was cruising. I'm so glad I had this record to look back on. It reminds me that it's not as m

Round 2 Day 16

I wish this post had as much positive enthusiasm as the last, but it's been kind of a difficult week. I woke up this morning with a mild headache feeling like I had a hangover. I couldn't think straight and  just felt worn out. I put in for a sub for the morning and went back to bed. After some cold brew and Tylenol I forced myself to teach my afternoon classes, but I'm tired and still feel the pressure on my skull. Yesterday I woke up in a rage. Rage over the grocery shopping I spent the ENTIRE weekend trying to take care of. Rage over the food I couldn't eat to calm the rage. Rage over how I can't control anyone but myself. Rage over the stupidly over-positive encouraging crap in the day-to-day book I've been using. Shut up book! I'm mad and I want to be mad! I don't want to be told how I can fix it! I just want to be mad! These seem to be the monologues that keep going around and around in my head. Angry Feminist Monologue When did all of the g

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t