Skip to main content

Cure for Shin Splints? Some Research

Okay, I know I may be getting annoying with the massive amount of blogging lately, but I wanted to answer my own question!
So here's some of what I found:

From Wikipedia
Tight calves can cause anterior or frontal 'shin splints'. This occurs when tight calves cause an overstretch of the anterior tibialis—see illustration above. Overstetched muscles become weakened and inflammed. A heavy stretching program for the calf(ves) can alleviate the condition rather quickly.
 There's much more detailed information than this through that link. It explains why they're caused and what you can do to prevent or alleviate your legs when you get shin splints.

Running Injury Free
Has some good tips about how your feet should hit the ground for training purposes and for injury prevention purposes,

Sports Inury Clinic
Has some really good information for treating shin splint pain.

For me, I think my problem might be my shoes. I have flat feet so that when walk my feet tilt in towards each other. When I wear shoes with proper arch support, my feet tilt out so that the soles on the outside edges of my heels wear out (just look at my dansko clogs!). This is also called "overpronation". Can you tell I'm completely fascinated by how our bodies work?
Anyway, I either need to get different shoes or figure out an insole that I can use in them. I should probably also figure out a better stretch routine before I run. I usually only do a couple of quick stretches, but if I'm going to increase my workout intensity, I probably need to be doing a bit better for myself.
Look forward to the post about running stretches!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 10

I got some much needed me time today. My mom came with me to look at countertops for the kitchen remodel that feels like is never going to happen and then took the kids so I could go to my chiropractor appointment without them. I love my mom.

I have been really stressed about our moving timeline, the start of school, and the money tied to all of it. I feel a bit paralyzed right now, there's not much I can really do until there's a bunch to do at once. It makes it kind of difficult to really enjoy my last few days of summer. So does not eating ice cream. Or anything that gives me joy.

I took advantage of the little bit of "me time" and went to Costco to replace the mass amounts of fruit my kids eat. (yes, I spend my "me time" grocery shopping) I'm already starting to dread having to feed them when they're teenagers. It was a bit more brutal than I had anticipated. Who the hell decided to put the pastries right next to the produce?! Really?! I could h…

Day 3

Today reached 106ºF outside. We don't have air conditioning. It sucked.

We stayed in to avoid the heat and left the house in the afternoon for my chiropractor appointment. I made sure to pack whole30 friendly snacks for me and the kids and took a very large cup of ice water.

I got my results from my x-rays last week and the scoliosis that was under control a year ago is back with a vengeance. (Yay for a year of having no time whatsoever to schedule an adjustment!) The good news is that it's treatable. The bad news is that treatment is expensive and I don't know if I can afford it. Yay stress.

After a very very long appointment at the chiropractor, I decided we should beat the heat at Ikea. We're in kind of a limbo period where I can't really do much to prepare for moving yet, but the Ikea kitchen planning tool online has kept me feeling like I can do something while we wait and I had some questions about cabinets anyway. It's therapeutic. But, yet another sourc…

Why Whole30?

I'll consider Monday my trial-run (although this proved a bit devastating for Charlotte). I didn't realize that pasture butter was only okay if clarified (milk solids are a no-no) and that pretty much all bacon has added sugar.

I procured the book from the library and dug in. Let me just say, this book feels like it was written by real people. There's a whole chapter dedicated to walking you through how you'll probably feel from day to day and I really like that. It reminds me of pregnancy books that tell you how your body may change each month and how your baby is growing. It's helpful to have an idea of how you may react to the changes and why.

"Day 4 to 5: Kill all the things  ...You walk into the kitchen and, upon being greeted by the smiling face of your significant other, you are suddenly overcome with the desire to punch them in the face for being so darn cheerful this early in the morning." They know me.

Having done every diet under the sun and sw…