Skip to main content

Rethinking the food stuff

Today makes a week of the weekday vegetarian plan. So far I only had some chicken so that my curry chicken salad wouldn't go to waste, and it really wasn't that good.
I think this plan is going very well. I've completely restructured the way that I eat. The best part is that I'm not feeling like I'm deprived, I'm eating more fruits and veggies than anything else, and I feel pretty good.

Breakfasts thus far have been yogurt, an orange or a banana, and a slice of Dave's Killer Bread with a glass of orange carrot juice mixed with apple juice. Lunches and dinners have been mostly my quest for the ultimate homemade veggie burrito, another piece of fruit, lots of peas (I forgot how much I love peas!), the mushroom marsala I made a few days ago, and whole avocado light caesar salads. Tonight I just wolfed down the most delicious Portobello burger from Burgerville! I usually end my night with a few bites of the fanciest coconut milk ice cream. Right now I'm working on a pint of chocolate with hazelnuts and a fudge ribbon. I think this ice cream is considered vegan, but I'd have to check the ingredients to make sure. Anyway, this is the kind of food I should be eating! I feel like I'm really taking care of myself. The cool thing about being veggie is that you can actually afford to eat the fruits and vegetables you're supposed to be eating because meat is so expensive!

I still haven't lost any weight, but I know that the way I'm eating right now is tons better than what I'd be eating normally. One of my students said her mom owns a Curves. I was telling her about  my new food plan and she said that they teach people to eat to get all of the nutrition your body craves so that it doesn't store fat trying to get it. I think this idea is interesting and I want to learn more about it. She said her mom may potentially need a part time manager in the future. I think it would be so cool to use this fascination I have with diet and exercise! I've never thought of myself as someone that could ever really work at a gym, but this might not be a bad gig. It's very tentative at this point anyway, but the idea is a cool one.

Comments

  1. Oooh, mushroom marsala? Can I get your recipe?
    Also, as a vegetarian of 13 years and an ex-vegan, I have a ton of delicious vegan and veggie recipes and sources, please do holler at me if you are looking for anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mushroom Marsala Recipe:

    1lb mushrooms sliced
    1 small onion chopped
    1/2 C Marsala Cooking Wine
    1/4-1/3 C veggie stock
    1 tsp cornstarch
    pinch salt
    pinch pepper
    cooked pasta

    In a saucepan fry the mushrooms and onions with a bit of olive oil. I put the lid on to steam them a bit. In a cup or small bowl with a fork or whisk, blend the stock, and cornstarch - try to keep the cornstarch from lumping by whisking and adding it in gradually. (I didn't do this and it got lumpy) add this to the mushrooms and onions along with the wine and stir it all together. Let the liquid reduce until it's more like a glaze. Add salt and pepper to taste. You could also add chopped parsley for flavor. Spoon this over the pasta.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 10

I got some much needed me time today. My mom came with me to look at countertops for the kitchen remodel that feels like is never going to happen and then took the kids so I could go to my chiropractor appointment without them. I love my mom.

I have been really stressed about our moving timeline, the start of school, and the money tied to all of it. I feel a bit paralyzed right now, there's not much I can really do until there's a bunch to do at once. It makes it kind of difficult to really enjoy my last few days of summer. So does not eating ice cream. Or anything that gives me joy.

I took advantage of the little bit of "me time" and went to Costco to replace the mass amounts of fruit my kids eat. (yes, I spend my "me time" grocery shopping) I'm already starting to dread having to feed them when they're teenagers. It was a bit more brutal than I had anticipated. Who the hell decided to put the pastries right next to the produce?! Really?! I could h…

Day 3

Today reached 106ºF outside. We don't have air conditioning. It sucked.

We stayed in to avoid the heat and left the house in the afternoon for my chiropractor appointment. I made sure to pack whole30 friendly snacks for me and the kids and took a very large cup of ice water.

I got my results from my x-rays last week and the scoliosis that was under control a year ago is back with a vengeance. (Yay for a year of having no time whatsoever to schedule an adjustment!) The good news is that it's treatable. The bad news is that treatment is expensive and I don't know if I can afford it. Yay stress.

After a very very long appointment at the chiropractor, I decided we should beat the heat at Ikea. We're in kind of a limbo period where I can't really do much to prepare for moving yet, but the Ikea kitchen planning tool online has kept me feeling like I can do something while we wait and I had some questions about cabinets anyway. It's therapeutic. But, yet another sourc…

Why Whole30?

I'll consider Monday my trial-run (although this proved a bit devastating for Charlotte). I didn't realize that pasture butter was only okay if clarified (milk solids are a no-no) and that pretty much all bacon has added sugar.

I procured the book from the library and dug in. Let me just say, this book feels like it was written by real people. There's a whole chapter dedicated to walking you through how you'll probably feel from day to day and I really like that. It reminds me of pregnancy books that tell you how your body may change each month and how your baby is growing. It's helpful to have an idea of how you may react to the changes and why.

"Day 4 to 5: Kill all the things  ...You walk into the kitchen and, upon being greeted by the smiling face of your significant other, you are suddenly overcome with the desire to punch them in the face for being so darn cheerful this early in the morning." They know me.

Having done every diet under the sun and sw…