Skip to main content

Day 9

"By this point, the newness of the program has worn off...You're still struggling to establish a new routine (you are so. tired. of. eggs.) and while you've been trying really hard to have a good attitude, today you are incredibly aware of all the foods you're "choosing not to eat right now"

This is for days 10 and 11 but it applies early for me. I'm so lucky.

Today was a bit easier because I didn't leave my house. I ate my eggs, which definitely helped with my cravings today, had leftovers for lunch, and managed to have a pretty easy time figuring out food for my kids all day. Archer ate 3 apples. Normally I keep them in a basket on a ledge, but he keeps climbing up and snagging them. Better than crackers I suppose.



Dinner hit some hurdles. The plantains I had planned to eat weren't ripe enough and I'd already marinated and started baking the pork by the time I figured this out. I sent Paul to the store to find riper ones but neither store he went to had them any more ripe than the ones I already had. Cue sad trombone. I was tempted to just give up and open up a can of black beans. But I reluctantly ended up putting the avocado salad and pork over salad greens. It worked out, but it wasn't what I had wanted. I felt pretty disappointed about it actually.

Both kids ate most of their dinner after we bribed them with one piece of candy. Archer tried to put his tomatoes and lettuce in his water cup to hide them. He didn't get candy.

We have to pack anyway so I packed as much of the "contraband" food up into boxes so they wouldn't be a constant issue with the kids. This helped a lot today.

Still, I couldn't help feeling resentful of Charlotte because she had cereal for breakfast at the neighbors after spending the night. I don't even like cereal all that much. I was also kind of annoyed when my husband wanted chips for his lunch and went so far as to dig them out of a taped up box to get them. He's been really supportive of me and of having the kids on the program with me. Still, I wish he wanted to join us completely. And it feels like he thinks he has to hide what he eats that we aren't eating. But, ultimately, this program is about regaining control over your own eating habits and about wanting to feel better. Nobody can want that for anyone but themselves.

I also struggled with feeling like my entire existence revolves around food. It feels like a very first-world whiny problem. But still, I spent the better part of my day in the kitchen making food, cleaning up after making food, and thinking about what to make next and when to make it. It also feels very unfair that the burden of all this cooking falls squarely on my shoulders for me and my kids for all meals on all days. It would be nice to have a day off.

I feel like I'm learning a lot about parenting and patience with my kids through this journey. Even though both kids have been driving me absolutely batshit crazy the last week, they're still eating much better than they did before we started. Archer ate his scrambled eggs with no complaint this morning. Charlotte ate all of her meals today without protest. Progress is slow, but it's progress!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 10

I got some much needed me time today. My mom came with me to look at countertops for the kitchen remodel that feels like is never going to happen and then took the kids so I could go to my chiropractor appointment without them. I love my mom.

I have been really stressed about our moving timeline, the start of school, and the money tied to all of it. I feel a bit paralyzed right now, there's not much I can really do until there's a bunch to do at once. It makes it kind of difficult to really enjoy my last few days of summer. So does not eating ice cream. Or anything that gives me joy.

I took advantage of the little bit of "me time" and went to Costco to replace the mass amounts of fruit my kids eat. (yes, I spend my "me time" grocery shopping) I'm already starting to dread having to feed them when they're teenagers. It was a bit more brutal than I had anticipated. Who the hell decided to put the pastries right next to the produce?! Really?! I could h…

Day 3

Today reached 106ºF outside. We don't have air conditioning. It sucked.

We stayed in to avoid the heat and left the house in the afternoon for my chiropractor appointment. I made sure to pack whole30 friendly snacks for me and the kids and took a very large cup of ice water.

I got my results from my x-rays last week and the scoliosis that was under control a year ago is back with a vengeance. (Yay for a year of having no time whatsoever to schedule an adjustment!) The good news is that it's treatable. The bad news is that treatment is expensive and I don't know if I can afford it. Yay stress.

After a very very long appointment at the chiropractor, I decided we should beat the heat at Ikea. We're in kind of a limbo period where I can't really do much to prepare for moving yet, but the Ikea kitchen planning tool online has kept me feeling like I can do something while we wait and I had some questions about cabinets anyway. It's therapeutic. But, yet another sourc…

Why Whole30?

I'll consider Monday my trial-run (although this proved a bit devastating for Charlotte). I didn't realize that pasture butter was only okay if clarified (milk solids are a no-no) and that pretty much all bacon has added sugar.

I procured the book from the library and dug in. Let me just say, this book feels like it was written by real people. There's a whole chapter dedicated to walking you through how you'll probably feel from day to day and I really like that. It reminds me of pregnancy books that tell you how your body may change each month and how your baby is growing. It's helpful to have an idea of how you may react to the changes and why.

"Day 4 to 5: Kill all the things  ...You walk into the kitchen and, upon being greeted by the smiling face of your significant other, you are suddenly overcome with the desire to punch them in the face for being so darn cheerful this early in the morning." They know me.

Having done every diet under the sun and sw…