Skip to main content

Day 24

My cat chose 5:30 this morning to yowl at the top of her lungs under our open bedroom window to let us know that she would like to come in the house and have breakfast. She's an indoor cat. She escaped. Again. Calloused cat cares not.

I couldn't sleep so I pulled out my Kindle. I've been reading Daring Greatly by Brené Brown. I read the section on numbing - one of the three strategies people use to avoid vulnerability/shame. It hit me like a sucker-punch to the forehead.

"American's today are more debt-ridden, obese, medicated, and addicted than we have ever been." 

Yep.

"...the most powerful need for numbing seems to come from a combination of ... - shame, anxiety, and disconnection."

reading on

"Shame enters for those of us who experience anxiety because not only are we feeling fearful, out of control, and incapable of managing our increasingly demanding lives, but eventually our anxiety is compounded and made unbearable by our belief that if we were just smarter, stronger, or better, we'd be able to handle everything. Numbing here becomes a way to take the edge off of both instability and inadequacy."

...sure, you can work full time, just convince teenagers that have no clue how much they'll like it that they should join choir...also figure out how to fund your program. also, there are about 1000 ways it won't work in their schedule...also here's a whole class of special ed kids to help with your numbers. oh, and we'll never come to your concerts unless you win something, and we'll accuse you of showboating if you try to convince us you're more qualified to do your job than someone who just sings for fun. can you teach PE/art/science/math/English/anythingmoreculturallyvalued???

reading on

"For me, it wasn't just the dance halls, cold beer, and Marlboro Lights of my youth that got out of hand -- it was banana bread, chips and queso, e-mail, work, staying busy, incessant worrying, planning, perfectionism, and anything else that could dull those agonizing and anxiety-fueled feelings of vulnerability."

Brené, if you ever happen across my blog, I feel you girl. I FEEL YOU.

She goes on to say:

"When I interviewed the research participants, whom I'd describe as living a Wholehearted life, about numbing, they consistently talked about three things:
  1. Learning how to actually feel their feelings.
  2. Staying mindful about numbing behaviors (they struggled too).
  3. Learning how to lean into discomfort of hard emotions."

Cue Whole30.

OMG did I need to do this. And the timing. Wow.

 She continues to talk about how people who manage their anxiety well will do things to change the source of the anxiety by setting boundaries according to their values. I feel like I'm making huge strides to do this and I'm proud of myself!

And didn't I totally just write about actually feeling my feelings? I'm already pretty good about experiencing emotions that cause me to cry in front of practically every person I've ever met. But joy eludes me quite a bit of the time. Unless I'm eating. Especially when I'm sharing what I'm eating. Being forced to experience discomfort and not being able to control my anxiety through comfort food is a huge step for me.

She mentions planning as a coping strategy as well and boy is that true for me. We're moving Saturday and if you came to my house you would see towers of boxes labeled and ready to be moved. What's making me crazy is the stuff that's not in boxes. There are loose items that I did not plan well enough for. I can't eat my feelings about this!

I can't wait to experience what it's like to be the sort of person that has managed to balance these things in a much healthier way. My cat robbed me of tiger blood today with the whole not getting enough sleep thing...but I feel a lot more confidence in the why of what I'm doing than I did before.

Thanks Brené. You're a queen.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t...

If only I had stuck with it

While we were in Los Angeles this last weekend we went to visit Paul's cousin Emily (Hi Emily!), her husband Nick, and their daughter Kate. She had asked me how the exercise was going and I told her that it was hard but I needed to stick it out. We ended up talking about all of the things we've started but quit somewhere along the way. And I started thinking about what it would be like if I'd just stuck to weight watchers or an exercise routine or any of the things I've started that would have had me looking and feeling better by now. There's a book by Malcolm Gladwell called "Outliers". Gladwell talks about a study by Anders Ericsson that shows most people that have mastered a skill have had to spend 10,000 in their life up to that point practicing and working on that skill. I've always considered this relevant to my career but I've never really related it to my weight loss goals. But now I am. If I want to not only improve and succeed at takin...

Tedium

I'm getting kind of tired of tracking my calories. It's become more tedious than it was originally. I think this is partly because I went three days without tracking. Now it feels like a daily chore. I have incentives however to continue. I may as well just come out and say that Paul and I are starting to research and learn about having babies. ***WE ARE NOT PREGNANT YET***. (everyone always asks whenever I mention the "b" word) Nor do we expect to be for at least a few months if not longer depending on how things work out. There are several factors to consider such as whether I get this job in the fall, whether we can afford the birth we want right away, where we're going to put a baby, and other things as well. That said, I need to get healthy for any of this to matter. My biggest concern at this point is that I might have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). I've read about four different books that describe the symptoms and I match every single one of ...