Skip to main content

Day 8

Um. Snacks. Today was snacks. All the snacks. All the kids eating all the snacks. Mom eating all the snacks.

Highlight of my day:

Throwing candy across the parking lot.

I didn't have eggs for breakfast for the first time since I started. I think it was probably a mistake. I've been craving snacks ALL DAY. And my kids have been worse.

They're kind of amazing actually. They pick around their meals and manage to extract anything with natural sugar or that isn't too unappealing. Then they snack like crazy between meals so that by the time we get to the next meal they can get away with not really eating again.

Basically my kids.
Today was the first day that I've thought much about the food I'm not eating. I've been so focused on trying to wrap my head around what I CAN eat that I haven't been too concerned about what I can't eat. But now that I've kind of got a better reign on the program, it's easier to think about what I'm missing.

I decided to put my foot down with the kids. I realize now why I've been so wishy-washy about it. Instead of having the will-power to stay good for myself, I have to have the will-power for 3 people! I ripped a piece of hard-candy out of Archer's hand today that I told him he could have. But I knew he shouldn't have it because not only had he finally been on program all day, he could choke on it. So I ripped it out of his hand and threw it across the parking lot so I couldn't change my mind. Then I had to listen to 10 minutes of screaming.

Charlotte ate her whole dinner. I made a version of kung pao chicken with a whole lot of zucchini and red pepper. I was proud of her for eating it all. She would not have done that a week ago. An hour later she came home asking if she could have pizza at the neighbors. *sigh* Fine. Have pizza. I don't care anymore.

Since dinner I've been trying to avoid snacking, but I want to so bad! I see 3 possible culprits. I had home-made kombucha with breakfast. The challenge with kombucha is that it's allowed on the program, but you have to let it ferment enough so that sugars are consumed. I don't know if it was fermented enough. I also don't think I had enough protein at breakfast becuase I just wanted to eat snacks all day - especially after dinner. I'm supposed to start over with a slip-up, but I don't know if I had one or not.

I struggled today. I'm going to eat eggs tomorrow.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Round 2 Day 21

After my hangover day this last week, I did a bunch of searching to figure out why. There were lots of helpful thoughts and suggestions on the Whole30 forum. I think for me, I probably wasn't eating enough - especially for breakfast. The meal template (which I never even heard of the first round) suggests that your protein at each meal should be the size of the palm of your hand, or fit in the palm of your hand. For me, this means 3 eggs rather than 1 or 2. I also started to add more fat to my meals because I'm supposed to be using a thumb sized amount in each meal. That's really a lot when you think about it. Making some small adjustments to my meals has helped. I read through some of my blog posts about going through this the first time around this same time. It's interesting because it wasn't better. For some reason my memory has me believing that 20 days in, I was cruising. I'm so glad I had this record to look back on. It reminds me that it's not as m

Round 2 Day 16

I wish this post had as much positive enthusiasm as the last, but it's been kind of a difficult week. I woke up this morning with a mild headache feeling like I had a hangover. I couldn't think straight and  just felt worn out. I put in for a sub for the morning and went back to bed. After some cold brew and Tylenol I forced myself to teach my afternoon classes, but I'm tired and still feel the pressure on my skull. Yesterday I woke up in a rage. Rage over the grocery shopping I spent the ENTIRE weekend trying to take care of. Rage over the food I couldn't eat to calm the rage. Rage over how I can't control anyone but myself. Rage over the stupidly over-positive encouraging crap in the day-to-day book I've been using. Shut up book! I'm mad and I want to be mad! I don't want to be told how I can fix it! I just want to be mad! These seem to be the monologues that keep going around and around in my head. Angry Feminist Monologue When did all of the g

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t