Skip to main content

Day 13

Today I took the day off. Not from the program, but from cooking.

We went to a friend's housewarming and I took some stuff with me to eat, but I decided not to totally restrict the kids on what they could eat. It made the whole thing far less stressful. Although Charlotte was still throwing a fit, screaming and crying, when we left. So I guess I'm left with a choice. Deal with the fits from being denied food or deal with the fit that comes later from avoiding the first fit.

*sigh*

I spent a fair amount of time trying to track down the ingredients in the Aidell's Smoked Paprika sausages I had. I recycled the belly band that has all of that information on it so it would take up less room in the fridge something like a month ago. If anyone has any leads, I would greatly appreciate it! Most of their sausages are safe on the plan so I decided I'd risk it.


By the time we got home, everyone was exhausted and our dishwasher is broken so I would have had to hand-wash dishes before making dinner (privilege problems, I know). So, I decided to take a risk and order Thai food.

I called our favorite place, but they premake their curries and they all have sugar. I called a place we haven't tried before and they said they could do it without sugar. Bingo! I didn't ask about all the other possible ingredients (cornstarch, msg, etc...) because it didn't occur to me to ask until after I'd ordered. Whoops.

Now I'm sitting here worrying. It was probably okay. The broth was not thick (suggesting they didn't use a thickener) and I scooped all of the bamboo, eggplant, and shrimp out of the broth, so it wasn't completely drowning in it. But any off-list food is still off-list food. I guess I'll have to decide if I should start over when I don't actually know if I went off plan or not.

Okay, I thought about it. Not starting over.

Still, I'm trying to also decide if the stress of not knowing exactly what's in my food was worth saving the work of preparing it myself. The good news is that after my 30 days I can worry about it less and let my body do more of the talking. If I feel okay, I feel okay. If not, avoid it next time. Problem solved.

Before I turn in, shout out to Will & Anne for lending me their copy of the Whole30 book! I have to take the book I borrowed back to the library tomorrow, so they rescued me.

Almost halfway there. Any suggestions on how I should celebrate my halfway mark? Obviously, can't do it with food!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 10

I got some much needed me time today. My mom came with me to look at countertops for the kitchen remodel that feels like is never going to happen and then took the kids so I could go to my chiropractor appointment without them. I love my mom.

I have been really stressed about our moving timeline, the start of school, and the money tied to all of it. I feel a bit paralyzed right now, there's not much I can really do until there's a bunch to do at once. It makes it kind of difficult to really enjoy my last few days of summer. So does not eating ice cream. Or anything that gives me joy.

I took advantage of the little bit of "me time" and went to Costco to replace the mass amounts of fruit my kids eat. (yes, I spend my "me time" grocery shopping) I'm already starting to dread having to feed them when they're teenagers. It was a bit more brutal than I had anticipated. Who the hell decided to put the pastries right next to the produce?! Really?! I could h…

Day 3

Today reached 106ºF outside. We don't have air conditioning. It sucked.

We stayed in to avoid the heat and left the house in the afternoon for my chiropractor appointment. I made sure to pack whole30 friendly snacks for me and the kids and took a very large cup of ice water.

I got my results from my x-rays last week and the scoliosis that was under control a year ago is back with a vengeance. (Yay for a year of having no time whatsoever to schedule an adjustment!) The good news is that it's treatable. The bad news is that treatment is expensive and I don't know if I can afford it. Yay stress.

After a very very long appointment at the chiropractor, I decided we should beat the heat at Ikea. We're in kind of a limbo period where I can't really do much to prepare for moving yet, but the Ikea kitchen planning tool online has kept me feeling like I can do something while we wait and I had some questions about cabinets anyway. It's therapeutic. But, yet another sourc…

Why Whole30?

I'll consider Monday my trial-run (although this proved a bit devastating for Charlotte). I didn't realize that pasture butter was only okay if clarified (milk solids are a no-no) and that pretty much all bacon has added sugar.

I procured the book from the library and dug in. Let me just say, this book feels like it was written by real people. There's a whole chapter dedicated to walking you through how you'll probably feel from day to day and I really like that. It reminds me of pregnancy books that tell you how your body may change each month and how your baby is growing. It's helpful to have an idea of how you may react to the changes and why.

"Day 4 to 5: Kill all the things  ...You walk into the kitchen and, upon being greeted by the smiling face of your significant other, you are suddenly overcome with the desire to punch them in the face for being so darn cheerful this early in the morning." They know me.

Having done every diet under the sun and sw…