Skip to main content

Day 15!

Halfway y'all! I've made it!

This has been a very long couple of weeks. But I feel like I've come a long way and have a long way to go still. It's not easy at the beginning of a journey when you don't know what the end will look like.

At the encouragement of my barista (<3 a="" and="" as="" checked="" could="" do="" feel="" hartwig="" i="" in="" inspiring.="" instagram="" it="" just="" kristina="" like="" made="" me="" melissa="" nbsp="" not="" out="" p="" promised="" really="" s="" small="" this="" was="" way.="" you="">
I decided the best reward for making it my 15 days was to take Charlotte clothes shopping for school. We bought a couple shirts and a jacket, but I decided to actually go through all of her clothes and really curate what she had. It was a good call. Half her clothes were too small and many of them were a hodge-podge of random stuff she's collected over the last year. I've been reading The Curated Closet, thanks to my free local digital library. I felt like I've organically gone through most of the steps for my own clothes already, but not as much for my kids.

One of the first steps they suggest is to create a board - whether that's Pinterest or a literal one, or a sheet of paper; just somewhere to collect ideas - to hone in on a particular style. I started to do this for Charlotte and had her sit with me to figure it out, but every item of clothing we looked at, she wanted to get it. Not a great method for kids.

Then I found kids clothing capsule on Hellobee's blog. This is such a great template! I added 5 short sleeved shirts to this list and voila, we had a jumping off point for Charlotte's clothes. We sorted through what we had, made a list, and hit the store. It was pretty fun actually, and now she has everything she needs for the entire school year - even concerts! Now I just have to have the discipline not to shop for her anymore (i.e. Black Friday).

The downside of our shopping trip was that I didn't really plan well enough for our dinner. I figured we could eat at a few places nearby but I didn't do my research first. We went to Panera and while I was standing in line trying to research options on my phone, I discovered that they use an ingredient in their chicken I shouldn't have (so...no salads?). We ended up at Red Robin annex with lettuce wrapped hamburgers with tomato and grilled pineapple. Thankfully they didn't charge me much considering how little food it actually was. Another reason to opt to eat at home - meals that are actually satisfying! We ended up running back to target to get some RX bars before heading home.

I also did something stupid. When we were done shopping for Charlotte, I decided to see if I could find anything for me. I buy the same pair of black pixie pants from The Limited every year, but they went bankrupt. Rude! So now I have to find a new favorite store for my clothes. The Limited had pretty good quality stuff and great sales and it frickin fit me well which was so hard to find. Most of my wardrobe is from The Limited. I tried on some stuff at The Gap and almost cried in the dressing room. Is it possible that I have gotten FATTER?? I mean..love my body, it can do amazing things, I've been feeling healthier, I'm doing my absolute best to be my best self but seriously? I don't fit in their biggest size? What the hell GAP??!!

Fortunately, I stumbled into the J Crew Mercantile, which is basically their outlet mall store, and they had clothes I could afford that fit me and looked like what I like to wear! And did I mention teacher discount?? Miracles happen!! I didn't get too much because I don't want to shrink out of expensive clothes, which I fully expect to happen.

Oh! Another fabulous discovery - curried chicken salad over avocado. I found a recipe on pinterest and tried it today. It's on The Movement Menu blog. I basically changed the whole recipe - I didn't use red onion or parsley, I used a red apple instead of green, I used the may Coover whipped up for me (Thanks Coover!), I forgot the pepper, I used rotisserie chicken from New Seasons (so much easier!!), and I added peas. It was good! The kids had rotisserie chicken, cold peas, and chopped mango for lunch. Archer ate 3 helpings of peas. I think this shall repeat tomorrow!

I keep having more good days. I feel blessed!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Round 2 Day 21

After my hangover day this last week, I did a bunch of searching to figure out why. There were lots of helpful thoughts and suggestions on the Whole30 forum. I think for me, I probably wasn't eating enough - especially for breakfast. The meal template (which I never even heard of the first round) suggests that your protein at each meal should be the size of the palm of your hand, or fit in the palm of your hand. For me, this means 3 eggs rather than 1 or 2. I also started to add more fat to my meals because I'm supposed to be using a thumb sized amount in each meal. That's really a lot when you think about it. Making some small adjustments to my meals has helped. I read through some of my blog posts about going through this the first time around this same time. It's interesting because it wasn't better. For some reason my memory has me believing that 20 days in, I was cruising. I'm so glad I had this record to look back on. It reminds me that it's not as m

Round 2 Day 16

I wish this post had as much positive enthusiasm as the last, but it's been kind of a difficult week. I woke up this morning with a mild headache feeling like I had a hangover. I couldn't think straight and  just felt worn out. I put in for a sub for the morning and went back to bed. After some cold brew and Tylenol I forced myself to teach my afternoon classes, but I'm tired and still feel the pressure on my skull. Yesterday I woke up in a rage. Rage over the grocery shopping I spent the ENTIRE weekend trying to take care of. Rage over the food I couldn't eat to calm the rage. Rage over how I can't control anyone but myself. Rage over the stupidly over-positive encouraging crap in the day-to-day book I've been using. Shut up book! I'm mad and I want to be mad! I don't want to be told how I can fix it! I just want to be mad! These seem to be the monologues that keep going around and around in my head. Angry Feminist Monologue When did all of the g

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t