Skip to main content

Tedium

I'm getting kind of tired of tracking my calories. It's become more tedious than it was originally. I think this is partly because I went three days without tracking. Now it feels like a daily chore.

I have incentives however to continue. I may as well just come out and say that Paul and I are starting to research and learn about having babies. ***WE ARE NOT PREGNANT YET***. (everyone always asks whenever I mention the "b" word) Nor do we expect to be for at least a few months if not longer depending on how things work out. There are several factors to consider such as whether I get this job in the fall, whether we can afford the birth we want right away, where we're going to put a baby, and other things as well. That said, I need to get healthy for any of this to matter.

My biggest concern at this point is that I might have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). I've read about four different books that describe the symptoms and I match every single one of them. One of the symptoms is being overweight. The reason people with this problem are overweight is that your body doesn't recognize the insulin levels in your bloodstream and produces more of it. The excess insulin doesn't get used and turns into fat. Thus, even if you're dieting like a superstar it may not make all that much of a difference. The syndrome is also commonly linked with thyroid problems, which I've suspected might be a factor for me before but haven't had it tested. The problem with having this (besides the fat thing) is that it can make it very difficult to conceive.

The good news is that a) I don't know if I even actually have it yet and b) if I do, it's totally treatable.

We scheduled a consultation at a birthing center for next week to get an idea of what a birth would be like there. I'm really leaning towards this option at this point. Just an aside: If you are pregnant or going to be and haven't considered any sort of birth beyond a hospital I strongly recommend you watch The Business of Being Born. If we decide to go with them, I will likely ask them about it and see if they recommend going to a doctor for all of the pre-conception testing since that's all super cheap with our insurance. They may include testing and treatment in their package as well. This could really be the thing that changes my life though. If this is what I've been up against this whole time, no wonder I've had so much trouble trying to lose weight!

So yes, tired of tracking. Tired of being fat. Tired of losing this battle. Going to keep going anyway. And going to find out if there's more I can do to push back!

Comments

  1. YES. Maybe this will be tonights movie.

    You know, I feel like I've watched this one... does it also talk about how other countries handle babies?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t...

If only I had stuck with it

While we were in Los Angeles this last weekend we went to visit Paul's cousin Emily (Hi Emily!), her husband Nick, and their daughter Kate. She had asked me how the exercise was going and I told her that it was hard but I needed to stick it out. We ended up talking about all of the things we've started but quit somewhere along the way. And I started thinking about what it would be like if I'd just stuck to weight watchers or an exercise routine or any of the things I've started that would have had me looking and feeling better by now. There's a book by Malcolm Gladwell called "Outliers". Gladwell talks about a study by Anders Ericsson that shows most people that have mastered a skill have had to spend 10,000 in their life up to that point practicing and working on that skill. I've always considered this relevant to my career but I've never really related it to my weight loss goals. But now I am. If I want to not only improve and succeed at takin...

Three Realizations

1. I stopped at the restroom in the hotel by the waterfront on my way to dragon boat practice tuesday. There's a full length mirror there. As I came out of the stall to wash my hands I noticed my reflection in it to the side of me. On my way out I stopped in disbelief. I was wearing a very form fitting tank top that dries quickly. Usually I expect to look like a stuffed sausage in it. But I didn't. I had to turn to the side and turn back again to make sure the mirror wasn't at an angle or something that would make me seem thinner. But it wasn't. I actually look better in my clothes. 2. On the way home from dragon boat practice I was thinking about this and also thinking about how I'm tired of counting calories. It occurred to me that I only have to count vigilantly until I weigh what I want to weight. And since I don't, I need to keep doing it. I would be devastated if I gained any weight back. I've reached this point in my dieting many times before. The d...