Skip to main content

Good Day

Today is the fourth day of my previous goal setting. So far, not terrible. Saturday was kind of a let-down because my mom's birthday party was a bunco party and thus swimming in bowls of candy and ice cream. I was good with the ice cream, but bad at the toquitos and really bad at the candy dishes on the tables.
So I just wrote disaster on my tracker for that evening and decided to start over on Sunday.
It's really hard to go out places because you really have no idea what you are consuming. I ate a polenta cake with goat cheese and wild mushrooms last night which was probably the healthiest option on the happy hour menu where I was at, but I think it may have been fried, and I'm not sure how fatty the gravy was that was all over it and extra delicious. It's amazing how many points things are when you actually find out too! I had baked popcorn chicken for lunch today and a little handful - maybe 10 small pieces - was 8 points! I so did not expect that. I thought maybe 5 for the amount that I had. That's almost a third of my points for the day! But that's what I wanted to eat, so I used the points to have it. I ate a banana so I got some fruit at least. But even bananas are 2 points! Everything counts, even if it's healthy. Which is kind of lame, but at least I'm paying attention.
I have to say that it's extremely hard to stay on track when you can't afford food. I was able to buy a few odds and ends for produce with what few dollars we had left. I had intended to go do a full shop last week, but after I went to costco and shopped for birthday presents I realized I had no more money left to hit winco. So I've had to be very creative. Spaghetti squash is really good by the way, and a very cheap way to get veggies into your traditional pasta dishes. I was kind of surprised because I usually can only do squash in cream sauces or baked into bread. I'm going to attempt to make a pumpkin pasta sauce when I can afford to buy more groceries. I saw a jar at Williams Sonoma for $15! There's no way that making it can cost that much! But it sounds good so I'm going to attempt it.

I finally took a walk today. I hadn't gotten it in yet, but I forgave myself yesterday because I spent two hours cleaning at my old apartment and it was work! Our new place is in a much better location for walking since it's right next to a high school. Unfortunately I can't use their track because it's a private school, but there are sidewalks and some niceish areas to walk around. Come rain and snow, there's a 24 hour fitness room that has an eliptical and a treadmill that I can resort to. But I am trying to remember to get in at least some basic exercise. Good times.

Comments

  1. One day at a time, right? You and Paul should come for a visit and then we can go walking together!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t...

If only I had stuck with it

While we were in Los Angeles this last weekend we went to visit Paul's cousin Emily (Hi Emily!), her husband Nick, and their daughter Kate. She had asked me how the exercise was going and I told her that it was hard but I needed to stick it out. We ended up talking about all of the things we've started but quit somewhere along the way. And I started thinking about what it would be like if I'd just stuck to weight watchers or an exercise routine or any of the things I've started that would have had me looking and feeling better by now. There's a book by Malcolm Gladwell called "Outliers". Gladwell talks about a study by Anders Ericsson that shows most people that have mastered a skill have had to spend 10,000 in their life up to that point practicing and working on that skill. I've always considered this relevant to my career but I've never really related it to my weight loss goals. But now I am. If I want to not only improve and succeed at takin...

Tedium

I'm getting kind of tired of tracking my calories. It's become more tedious than it was originally. I think this is partly because I went three days without tracking. Now it feels like a daily chore. I have incentives however to continue. I may as well just come out and say that Paul and I are starting to research and learn about having babies. ***WE ARE NOT PREGNANT YET***. (everyone always asks whenever I mention the "b" word) Nor do we expect to be for at least a few months if not longer depending on how things work out. There are several factors to consider such as whether I get this job in the fall, whether we can afford the birth we want right away, where we're going to put a baby, and other things as well. That said, I need to get healthy for any of this to matter. My biggest concern at this point is that I might have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). I've read about four different books that describe the symptoms and I match every single one of ...