Skip to main content

Remix

Today I went in to the doctor to get a pre-pregnancy physical. Well, sort of. Really what I wanted was a definite diagnosis for pcos (polycycstic ovarian syndrome) which I've been learning lots about and had suspicion about having. Why does this matter to a weight-loss blog you might ask? Because pcos throws off your insulin levels and makes it very difficult to lose weight. It also puts you at high risk for type 2 diabetes. I may or may not have announced that Paul and I are not trying to not get pregnant...as in, we're not avoiding babies. As I've been reading about what I should do in case I do get pregnant (like taking prenatals, getting more exercise etc..) I ran across a bunch of information about pcos and had great concerns about it. I learned two things from my appointment today. First is that I don't have pcos. Yay! Second is that my doctor told me not to run anymore, but walking is a great idea. I wanted to ignore her advice and keep running anyway (instant Bethany mental rebellion attack!), but I started thinking about this - you're going to hate me Christy. I've never been good at running. It's not something that I've every really wanted to do because I liked it. It's something I've felt like I should do because it's the hardest exercise and I wanted to be hard core!

So here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to do my c25k plan when I feel up to it. But instead of avoiding it like I've been doing, I'm going to get my butt outside and go walking. My doctor said that I should do as much of my exercising outside as I can to avoid seasonal affective disorder. I think this will be a good trade off and will keep me from completely crashing in my exercise routine. I'm also going to make my workouts distance oriented instead of time oriented. In other words, I'll at least walk the 3 miles rather than walking 30 minutes.

The other small shot in the arm I got was the advice to lose 15-20 more pounds. Obviously I know I need to do this anyway, but having a doctor tell you to helps I think. I am going to start tracking my calories again, just for a few days to keep myself in check.

Comments

  1. haha, why would I hate you? Doctor's orders. Would you still want to do the run like hell with us? You can speed walk the whole thing, and we'll all be at the finish line cheering you, and waiting to have wings and beer together!!! I think it'll still be fun, even if you decide you can't be in the group costume and do it individually. Use the support you have, like this wonderful team!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Bethany! I think you'll enjoy walking once you get out there! You look beautiful now, but I'm glad you got a boost in your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds delightful :) I definitely still want to do it, but yeah, it would probably be a bad idea to have me attached to your dragon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t...

If only I had stuck with it

While we were in Los Angeles this last weekend we went to visit Paul's cousin Emily (Hi Emily!), her husband Nick, and their daughter Kate. She had asked me how the exercise was going and I told her that it was hard but I needed to stick it out. We ended up talking about all of the things we've started but quit somewhere along the way. And I started thinking about what it would be like if I'd just stuck to weight watchers or an exercise routine or any of the things I've started that would have had me looking and feeling better by now. There's a book by Malcolm Gladwell called "Outliers". Gladwell talks about a study by Anders Ericsson that shows most people that have mastered a skill have had to spend 10,000 in their life up to that point practicing and working on that skill. I've always considered this relevant to my career but I've never really related it to my weight loss goals. But now I am. If I want to not only improve and succeed at takin...

Tedium

I'm getting kind of tired of tracking my calories. It's become more tedious than it was originally. I think this is partly because I went three days without tracking. Now it feels like a daily chore. I have incentives however to continue. I may as well just come out and say that Paul and I are starting to research and learn about having babies. ***WE ARE NOT PREGNANT YET***. (everyone always asks whenever I mention the "b" word) Nor do we expect to be for at least a few months if not longer depending on how things work out. There are several factors to consider such as whether I get this job in the fall, whether we can afford the birth we want right away, where we're going to put a baby, and other things as well. That said, I need to get healthy for any of this to matter. My biggest concern at this point is that I might have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). I've read about four different books that describe the symptoms and I match every single one of ...