Skip to main content

Blah

I've realized that I don't really care about my weight loss lately. I was in my bathroom and it occurred to me that I haven't had any desire to use my scale for a couple of weeks now. I usually weigh myself every morning before I get in the shower. It was like a little self esteem boost because I weigh the least first thing in the morning. Anyway, I've sort of lost my momentum. I don't really care either way how my weight watchers weigh in goes lately. Honestly I'm kind of happy in this state. It's nice not to have this drama. I have been trying to at least be aware of what I eat, even if I'm not writing it down or stopping myself from eating what I shouldn't have. But I figure it's better than nothing. I've been extremely bad about walking too, and I didn't even realize it until this afternoon. I haven't been walking in probably about two weeks. I did walk about half a mile yesterday to get my lunch yesterday though, but it's not nearly as much as I should be walking. I'm kind of tired of trying to set these goals all the time though. My zeal is dead. I don't care if I better myself. I don't care if I'm thin. I don't care if I'm all that healthy as long as I'm not inconvenienced (I do care about this gigantic knot that's been riding my shoulder blades however...).

Perhaps I need more to live for then. Given I have my private students and my family and friends to care about, but this subbing gig is the most disconnected work I can think of. I don't know if I"m working from day to day. I don't have time to learn any kids names to care at all about what they do or how well they do it. I'm basically an overqualified babysitter. At least it's a paycheck. Not much of a motivational job though. I'll admit the prospect of being unhealthy and pregnant isn't appealing. But it's at least a year or two down the road before I have to be all that worried about it. I feel like my current quality of life is not all that affected by my health. Any suggestions for a shot in the behind to get me motivated again? I've never been in this state before. I'm too uninterested to care and I can't ever remember a time when I didn't feel horrible about being fat.

Comments

  1. Good! Getting over that scale obsession is a huge hurdle. We can start working a walk into our knitting nights if you want to. I stopped letting scales in my house long ago and have been happier since. I have no idea how much I weigh and don't want to know.

    You are totally healthy. If you're happy and life is good- don't beat yourself up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess my only comment would be that setting goals is probably not the way to go....everyone I know that has lost weight says it's all about lifestyle change-not setting goals. You should weigh yourself, maybe once a week but the rest of your days should be filled with trying to be healthy-and eating right and exercise are part of being healthy. For me, once I stopped worrying about setting goals and just focused on eating well, not snacking and exercising as often as I could, then I noticed a change in my weight. I've been trying to lose baby weight for 4 years now and nothing has worked until I changed my outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally feel this way right now too Bethany! But that is excellent advice from Miller. I'm going to try to start thinking that way. I really need my motivation back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the help all :) I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t...

If only I had stuck with it

While we were in Los Angeles this last weekend we went to visit Paul's cousin Emily (Hi Emily!), her husband Nick, and their daughter Kate. She had asked me how the exercise was going and I told her that it was hard but I needed to stick it out. We ended up talking about all of the things we've started but quit somewhere along the way. And I started thinking about what it would be like if I'd just stuck to weight watchers or an exercise routine or any of the things I've started that would have had me looking and feeling better by now. There's a book by Malcolm Gladwell called "Outliers". Gladwell talks about a study by Anders Ericsson that shows most people that have mastered a skill have had to spend 10,000 in their life up to that point practicing and working on that skill. I've always considered this relevant to my career but I've never really related it to my weight loss goals. But now I am. If I want to not only improve and succeed at takin...

Three Realizations

1. I stopped at the restroom in the hotel by the waterfront on my way to dragon boat practice tuesday. There's a full length mirror there. As I came out of the stall to wash my hands I noticed my reflection in it to the side of me. On my way out I stopped in disbelief. I was wearing a very form fitting tank top that dries quickly. Usually I expect to look like a stuffed sausage in it. But I didn't. I had to turn to the side and turn back again to make sure the mirror wasn't at an angle or something that would make me seem thinner. But it wasn't. I actually look better in my clothes. 2. On the way home from dragon boat practice I was thinking about this and also thinking about how I'm tired of counting calories. It occurred to me that I only have to count vigilantly until I weigh what I want to weight. And since I don't, I need to keep doing it. I would be devastated if I gained any weight back. I've reached this point in my dieting many times before. The d...