Skip to main content

Pushing onward

I didn't get to go to yoga yesterday because I didn't really plan very well. So I was glad to get to go today. On a day like today, yoga is the only thing that gets me off my couch. At any rate, I went to the late class, which I think is my favorite the more I go to different class times. It's less hot and less crowded. It was led by someone different than I expected, but I liked her so it was good. I'm starting to realize that even though every class is the same, the instructors can really make a difference in how hard I push myself. I pushed today. The standing series is an hour long and it's meant to build strength and balance. I have a very difficult time with some of it because my feet start to hurt really badly. I asked her about this after class and she said that it was very normal and that I just needed to build strength in my feet, which would come with time. I tried to work through the pain as much as I could, but I had to stop and massage my feet out after I started several poses. Once we got to the sitting series, it was mostly smooth sailing until I got a splitting headache about halfway in. The nice thing is that between each pose you lay on your back and get your breath back. This really helped my head feel better quickly. But I couldn't really do the rabbit pose where you sit on your knees and roll forward on your head to stretch out your spine.
I asked the instructor about what to do when I get really emotional in class as well. She said if I just needed to sit and cry in the class it would be fine and that nobody would really notice if it was tears or sweat because everyone's all sweaty anyway. She also commended me for coming to 6 classes in 9 days. I've already noticed and improvement in my flexibility. There is one pose where you stand with your legs spread and attempt to get your forehead to the floor with your hands behind your ankles. I was able to get my hands to my feet for about 20 seconds today and I haven't been able to do that yet. Normally I use my hands to support my torso so I don't stretch down too far. I went to class on a fairly full stomach which made some of the torso stretches really uncomfortable. I'll have to remember not to eat so much even hours beforehand if I don't want to feel like my gut is pushing against my ribs.

Now I'm eating rocky road ice cream. But I'm only have one scoop. I feel I've earned it. Sort of. I should probably not be eating at all considering I had olive garden for lunch today (we couldn't afford it, but Paul's been working 10 consecutive days, so I felt like he needed it) and I didn't choose healthy options because I wanted to enjoy myself for a change. Tomorrow will be better. Although being so dirt poor makes it difficult to purchase healthy food. I have tons of pasta and no veggies. Oh well. Perhaps it's time to consider taking a break from Weight Watchers. It will be a year in November and only 9 pounds of weight loss on my part. I think I either need to buckle down and earn the privilege of going, or I need to take a break for a few months. It's a bit more difficult when you can't afford food though.

Comments

  1. It sounds like you have a great instructor! Her advise to you was really sound. Weight loss is so hard. I have weight I'm trying to lose too and I get so frustrated because it feels like I just go in circles. Do you have a friend that you can buddy up with and be accountable with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Beth, you sound so motivated! I've always wanted to try Bikram yoga.. maybe I'll tag along sometime!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Round 2 Day 21

After my hangover day this last week, I did a bunch of searching to figure out why. There were lots of helpful thoughts and suggestions on the Whole30 forum. I think for me, I probably wasn't eating enough - especially for breakfast. The meal template (which I never even heard of the first round) suggests that your protein at each meal should be the size of the palm of your hand, or fit in the palm of your hand. For me, this means 3 eggs rather than 1 or 2. I also started to add more fat to my meals because I'm supposed to be using a thumb sized amount in each meal. That's really a lot when you think about it. Making some small adjustments to my meals has helped. I read through some of my blog posts about going through this the first time around this same time. It's interesting because it wasn't better. For some reason my memory has me believing that 20 days in, I was cruising. I'm so glad I had this record to look back on. It reminds me that it's not as m

Round 2 Day 16

I wish this post had as much positive enthusiasm as the last, but it's been kind of a difficult week. I woke up this morning with a mild headache feeling like I had a hangover. I couldn't think straight and  just felt worn out. I put in for a sub for the morning and went back to bed. After some cold brew and Tylenol I forced myself to teach my afternoon classes, but I'm tired and still feel the pressure on my skull. Yesterday I woke up in a rage. Rage over the grocery shopping I spent the ENTIRE weekend trying to take care of. Rage over the food I couldn't eat to calm the rage. Rage over how I can't control anyone but myself. Rage over the stupidly over-positive encouraging crap in the day-to-day book I've been using. Shut up book! I'm mad and I want to be mad! I don't want to be told how I can fix it! I just want to be mad! These seem to be the monologues that keep going around and around in my head. Angry Feminist Monologue When did all of the g

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t