Skip to main content

Salem, Here I come!

I feel like I haven't been keeping up on this as much as I once was. I've been in a continuous stride mode with everything health related. I'm not losing and I'm not gaining. The good news about this is that I have definitely adjusted my lifestyle around a lower weight even if it's not the weight I want to be.

I've had two variables that have pushed me out of my complacency slightly. One is dragon boating and the other is the boy we have boarding with us.

I have been busting my butt with my dragon boating team so that I can race in Salem. I probably didn't have to prove myself to be allowed to race but I felt like I did anyway. I've been giving myself mental pep talks whilst out paddling. Most of these are to the effect of "this is only an hour of your 24 hour day...you can breathe as soon as you're done....the strain and pain you feel in your muscles is your physical proof that you're going to get stronger" and so on. I've also started to get to know my team better and I think that's going to really help me stay motivated to contribute to my team. The last two practices I sat nearer the front of the boat where some of the best paddlers are usually seated and it really helped me to not only have good technique modeled for me but to also feel like I needed to prove that I should be there as well. So a week from Sunday I will get to be a Portland Fire Dragon in Salem!

A few years ago a family allowed me to rent a room from them and really helped make it possible for me to be able to move out of my parents and learn what it was going to take to be out on my  own. I have always felt like this was such a huge and generous favor and it really helped make it possible for me to grow up. So now I get to pay it forward with a kid who's starting college this fall. He's renting our spare bedroom from us to help us with our bills and we're helping him by charging him minimal rent for a decent living space. That's the short version of the story anyway! At any rate, he's a bit obsessed with diet and exercise, enough so that it's actually effective for him. I think it will be a good thing for me because it's always helpful to have a permanent cheerleader living with you.

So that's where things are for right now. I'm not terribly concerned with losing more weight, but I'm at least picking up where I left off with taking care of myself again. I will consider this latest bout of apathy over!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Round 2 Day 21

After my hangover day this last week, I did a bunch of searching to figure out why. There were lots of helpful thoughts and suggestions on the Whole30 forum. I think for me, I probably wasn't eating enough - especially for breakfast. The meal template (which I never even heard of the first round) suggests that your protein at each meal should be the size of the palm of your hand, or fit in the palm of your hand. For me, this means 3 eggs rather than 1 or 2. I also started to add more fat to my meals because I'm supposed to be using a thumb sized amount in each meal. That's really a lot when you think about it. Making some small adjustments to my meals has helped. I read through some of my blog posts about going through this the first time around this same time. It's interesting because it wasn't better. For some reason my memory has me believing that 20 days in, I was cruising. I'm so glad I had this record to look back on. It reminds me that it's not as m

Round 2 Day 16

I wish this post had as much positive enthusiasm as the last, but it's been kind of a difficult week. I woke up this morning with a mild headache feeling like I had a hangover. I couldn't think straight and  just felt worn out. I put in for a sub for the morning and went back to bed. After some cold brew and Tylenol I forced myself to teach my afternoon classes, but I'm tired and still feel the pressure on my skull. Yesterday I woke up in a rage. Rage over the grocery shopping I spent the ENTIRE weekend trying to take care of. Rage over the food I couldn't eat to calm the rage. Rage over how I can't control anyone but myself. Rage over the stupidly over-positive encouraging crap in the day-to-day book I've been using. Shut up book! I'm mad and I want to be mad! I don't want to be told how I can fix it! I just want to be mad! These seem to be the monologues that keep going around and around in my head. Angry Feminist Monologue When did all of the g

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t