Skip to main content

Round 2 - Day 1

Happy New Year! I am so relieved to see 2017 come to a close. It was a long, tough, satisfying year and I am happy to be done. I think the two things that were the most life changing last year were moving into our new house and the first Whole30 I completed.

It's been four months since I finished my first Whole30. I remember my delightful barista, Kristina, saying "It's so hard, but so worth it." And I couldn't describe it better. I have tried so many things to lose weight and keep it off and nothing has ever permeated my consciousness like this has. I think about what I'm eating basically always. I haven't gained any of the weight back that I lost even though I haven't considered myself on a diet since September. I am also hyper-aware of how foods affect me.

December was sort of a free-fall. We went to Disneyland and I made the conscious decision to enjoy myself. Disneyland is already a sugar wonderland most of the year, but add in the Christmas theme and it's a whole new level. I actually wanted to eat the salads I had for most of my meals because I craved them after all of the crazy sugar laden treats I ate. It was nice to indulge, but I think I went a bit overboard and had a tough time saying no to sugar when I got back.

So I decided to go nuts for the rest of December and to do another round of Whole30 in January. I've spent the last couple of weeks indulging in stuff that I knew I'd be giving up soon.  I'm excited that my mom and sister are joining me this time around. It will be nice having them to commiserate with. I am also SO READY to eat better. So much of what I ate for Christmas made me completely miserable and gross. I could barely button my jeans because I was so bloated. I'm looking forward to feeling better.

This time around I have a clearer game plan for my kids. This was really difficult last time around without a firm plan. I've decided that, for the most part, I'll offer them the same things I'm eating, but I won't sweat cooking some pasta to go with spaghetti for them or letting them have tacos instead of taco salad. Charlotte has decided she will do a Whole7 the last week of my Whole30 and has already requested certain foods for her school lunches.

In the spirit of #JanuaryWhole30 I thought I'd share some of my favorite food staples. Having done this once already, the planning element is definitely easier and I realized how much I valued good quality food staples to really make my food a little more edible.

From Trader Joes:
Ghee
Coconut Aminos (soyless soy sauce)
Coconut Oil
RX Bars
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Everything but the bagel seasoning (awesome for avocados!)

From Costco:
Avocado Oil - I think it was $8 for a gigantic bottle and I LOVE it (they have the same brand at trader joes, but it's a better deal at costco)
The Whole30 book and cookbook ($17 each) and the Whole30 day-by-day planner (I purchased this to try)
Aidell's chicken apple sausage
Little Potato Company potatoes

From New Seasons:
Sage breakfast pork sausage in bulk - One of the few breakfast sausages I found that had no sugar or maple. I buy a pound, cook it all up at the beginning of the week, and toss it in with my eggs each morning.
Jacobson salt company kosher salt (this is the best salt ever, and yes it makes a difference)

From Chuck's Produce:
Every fruit or vegetable you can think of! - I found Plantains that I could cook right away and tons of apple varietals. They also have a good selection of avocados at reasonable prices. I will be a frequent shopper here.
NutPods creamer
Whole roasted chicken (roasted chickens without added no-no ingredients are surprisingly difficult to find - Costco adds carrageenan! Now that I found this, I break one chicken down for lunch salads for the week and it's an easy way to add protein to snack vegetables)
Primal kitchen mayonnaise

From Otto's Sausage Kitchen:
I just discovered this yesterday! All of their sausages are made in house and they don't add any sugar to any of their meat including their bacon! BACON!! I got a couple of chicken sausages to try, a pound of bacon, breakfast sausage links, ground pork sausage, and sliced hunter and summer sausages to snack on.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Round 2 Day 21

After my hangover day this last week, I did a bunch of searching to figure out why. There were lots of helpful thoughts and suggestions on the Whole30 forum. I think for me, I probably wasn't eating enough - especially for breakfast. The meal template (which I never even heard of the first round) suggests that your protein at each meal should be the size of the palm of your hand, or fit in the palm of your hand. For me, this means 3 eggs rather than 1 or 2. I also started to add more fat to my meals because I'm supposed to be using a thumb sized amount in each meal. That's really a lot when you think about it. Making some small adjustments to my meals has helped. I read through some of my blog posts about going through this the first time around this same time. It's interesting because it wasn't better. For some reason my memory has me believing that 20 days in, I was cruising. I'm so glad I had this record to look back on. It reminds me that it's not as m

Round 2 Day 16

I wish this post had as much positive enthusiasm as the last, but it's been kind of a difficult week. I woke up this morning with a mild headache feeling like I had a hangover. I couldn't think straight and  just felt worn out. I put in for a sub for the morning and went back to bed. After some cold brew and Tylenol I forced myself to teach my afternoon classes, but I'm tired and still feel the pressure on my skull. Yesterday I woke up in a rage. Rage over the grocery shopping I spent the ENTIRE weekend trying to take care of. Rage over the food I couldn't eat to calm the rage. Rage over how I can't control anyone but myself. Rage over the stupidly over-positive encouraging crap in the day-to-day book I've been using. Shut up book! I'm mad and I want to be mad! I don't want to be told how I can fix it! I just want to be mad! These seem to be the monologues that keep going around and around in my head. Angry Feminist Monologue When did all of the g

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t