Skip to main content

The Bottom of the Bottomless Pit

I'm in a slump. I really bad slump. A slump that I don't even know how to begin to solve slump.
Lately I've been a little more than busy and exercise just isn't happening. I've been a little less than happy and food is the key to my happiness lately.

Yesterday I had a "I'm turning 28 this month" reality check. I'm had a voice lesson where we decided to focus on my work to prepare for the met audition. For anyone that doesn't know the met audition is the new york  metropolitan opera competition where they award large cash prizes to winners and it's an opportunity for singers to "get discovered". I spent some time Friday evening researching it to find out when it is, what I need to do to prep for it, and who has done well in the past.
What I found is that past winners and mentionable participants have resumes that make me look like an amateur. And most of those participants are younger than I am. This combined with the fact that I can only participate 3 times before I'm too old and that I feel so behind in spite of my experience had me in tears in my lesson. And I didn't really realize it was because of my birthday this month until I started to think about it in the car on the way home and burst into tears.
Now, I know I'm not that old. And I know most of the people that are reading this are older. But that doesn't mean you didn't feel the same way when you turned 28!
In my unexpected mourning episode I started to think about how to be in better health as I approach what feels like a significant birthday now - significant because I've never cared about getting older until now. And as I started to go through the how-to list of things I could do I realized I really don't want to do anything.

I enjoy exercise but it's so hard to fit it in when I feel like I'm not doing the best job taking care of my baby. I'd work on couch to 5k again but I feel like it jacks up my body and I spend a fortune fixing it at the chiropractor. I'd eat better but it's nearly impossible without spending a bunch of extra money on food when I share meals with 4 other people most of the time. And it doesn't help that my appetite is ridiculous. I end up having second lunch, second dinner, first, second, and third dessert. I drink regular soda. I eat candy. I don't even hesitate when there's fried food to be had. I am a bottomless pit. I eat until I'm miserable, wait an hour, and eat again.

I feel like this whole weight loss thing has spiraled so far out of control and the worst of it is that I don't even care enough to really buckle down and do anything about it. It doesn't help that nobody in my household is willing to do anything remotely helpful to encourage or support me. I tried to convince Paul to train to run a 5k with me but he refuses. I feel like I've completely lost all motivation and all support to do better.

Typically I come up with some sort of solution to battle my frustrations when I get down on myself like this, but I'm out of ideas. Seriously. I don't even know if I believe that I'm ever going to know what it's like to be a healthy weight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Round 2 Day 21

After my hangover day this last week, I did a bunch of searching to figure out why. There were lots of helpful thoughts and suggestions on the Whole30 forum. I think for me, I probably wasn't eating enough - especially for breakfast. The meal template (which I never even heard of the first round) suggests that your protein at each meal should be the size of the palm of your hand, or fit in the palm of your hand. For me, this means 3 eggs rather than 1 or 2. I also started to add more fat to my meals because I'm supposed to be using a thumb sized amount in each meal. That's really a lot when you think about it. Making some small adjustments to my meals has helped. I read through some of my blog posts about going through this the first time around this same time. It's interesting because it wasn't better. For some reason my memory has me believing that 20 days in, I was cruising. I'm so glad I had this record to look back on. It reminds me that it's not as m

Round 2 Day 16

I wish this post had as much positive enthusiasm as the last, but it's been kind of a difficult week. I woke up this morning with a mild headache feeling like I had a hangover. I couldn't think straight and  just felt worn out. I put in for a sub for the morning and went back to bed. After some cold brew and Tylenol I forced myself to teach my afternoon classes, but I'm tired and still feel the pressure on my skull. Yesterday I woke up in a rage. Rage over the grocery shopping I spent the ENTIRE weekend trying to take care of. Rage over the food I couldn't eat to calm the rage. Rage over how I can't control anyone but myself. Rage over the stupidly over-positive encouraging crap in the day-to-day book I've been using. Shut up book! I'm mad and I want to be mad! I don't want to be told how I can fix it! I just want to be mad! These seem to be the monologues that keep going around and around in my head. Angry Feminist Monologue When did all of the g

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t