Skip to main content

Navigating Resolutions


If you don't read My Way, my blog about being a mom, then you probably don't know about my list of new years resolutions. I wrote several, but these are the three that are pertinent to this blog:
  1. Walk 20 minutes EVERY DAY.
  2. Start Dragon Boating again.
  3. Cut out all sugar (including fake sugar) for the month of January and July.
I wrote these down the night before last. I couldn't sleep very well so I thought I'd make a to-do list and resolutions, while I don't usually make any, seemed like a good idea. I make resolutions about my health all the time. I feel like my New Years ones are a continuation of the healthy lifestyle I've been trying to establish.

If you've been following me you already know that I've been instructed toward to a Pescetarian bordering on vegan diet that cuts out all processed foods and emphasizes whole grains, vegetables and fruits. I was doing pretty well at sticking to it up until Christmas day. The meal was an ode to my Oma - so a spread of simple carbs fried up nice with bacon. But there was squash in the pierogi's (pierogi's are a stuffed pastry that's fried). . . healthy right?

So I gave up being very strict through New Years and now I'm back on track.

Yesterday I started working on integrating my resolutions. I didn't get my walk in, although it was on my radar all day long. It's hard to get outside and walk if I don't do it first thing in the morning because by the time I do have time it's dark outside. The other challenge is if it's raining I can't take Charlotte in her stroller with me. I don't have a rain cover for her stroller (note to self: find stroller cover). 

I had started to eat a candy bar - a moonstruck mayan chocolate candy bar - the night I wrote my resolutions. I couldn't not finish it, so I ate the rest of it for breakfast. I figured after that I'd get on track with the no sugar thing. I ordered a tall soy latte at Starbucks in the afternoon thinking I was being so good and not adding any syrups. My drink seemed rather sweet in spite of the lack of flavors, so when I went in again today I asked if there was sugar in their soymilk. "A whole lot of it" was their response. Considering I'm trying to lean more toward vegan and they don't have just plain soymilk, this is kind of a disappointment. I guess I shall be having my coffee at New Seasons now. It's better quality (mmmm stumptown) and cheaper too. Just not close enough to walk to. And there's not a cool app that lets me pay on my phone either. 
Other blunders include the dried fruit on my steel cut oatmeal. I figure it's better than some of the things I could be eating with sugar so I'll finish it out and just won't buy anymore when it's gone. 

As for walking I wouldn't have gone to Starbucks at all today if I wasn't overdoing it. I thought that since it was nice and sunny out I'd make it longer than 20 minutes. I walked down to the high school and looped up back to the shopping center on 122nd - about 2 miles. This took around 35 minutes plus another 15 to get back home. Now I have shin splints - although not as bad as when I was running - and my legs feel a little undependable. I think I'll stick to the 20 minutes thing tomorrow. 

Dragon Boating is going to have to wait until the spring. I think I'd be asking for pain if I tried to get back into it now! Especially since I can't afford the rain gear and it gets mighty wet even if it isn't raining. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Round 2 Day 21

After my hangover day this last week, I did a bunch of searching to figure out why. There were lots of helpful thoughts and suggestions on the Whole30 forum. I think for me, I probably wasn't eating enough - especially for breakfast. The meal template (which I never even heard of the first round) suggests that your protein at each meal should be the size of the palm of your hand, or fit in the palm of your hand. For me, this means 3 eggs rather than 1 or 2. I also started to add more fat to my meals because I'm supposed to be using a thumb sized amount in each meal. That's really a lot when you think about it. Making some small adjustments to my meals has helped. I read through some of my blog posts about going through this the first time around this same time. It's interesting because it wasn't better. For some reason my memory has me believing that 20 days in, I was cruising. I'm so glad I had this record to look back on. It reminds me that it's not as m

Round 2 Day 16

I wish this post had as much positive enthusiasm as the last, but it's been kind of a difficult week. I woke up this morning with a mild headache feeling like I had a hangover. I couldn't think straight and  just felt worn out. I put in for a sub for the morning and went back to bed. After some cold brew and Tylenol I forced myself to teach my afternoon classes, but I'm tired and still feel the pressure on my skull. Yesterday I woke up in a rage. Rage over the grocery shopping I spent the ENTIRE weekend trying to take care of. Rage over the food I couldn't eat to calm the rage. Rage over how I can't control anyone but myself. Rage over the stupidly over-positive encouraging crap in the day-to-day book I've been using. Shut up book! I'm mad and I want to be mad! I don't want to be told how I can fix it! I just want to be mad! These seem to be the monologues that keep going around and around in my head. Angry Feminist Monologue When did all of the g

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t