Skip to main content

Water Power

It's been three weeks since my juice cleanse and I'm still feeling successful. I'm down about 8 pounds. It's been going so well and I've been contemplating some of the things that are making the difference this time.

So far I've talked about being gluten free. I think that cutting out gluten has been a good move for me. I keep flubbing and having it accidentally (apparently rice crackers still have wheat in them sometimes and french fries come battered) so I'm not really sure if I've abstained enough to notice a difference. What has been good is all of the foods I avoid because they have gluten. Yesterday we ended our camping trip at Mo's in Lincoln City. There were maybe three things on the menu that weren't battered and fried. I had hoped to have a cup of clam chowder and even that had flour in it. All that was left was salads or fish tacos. These also happened to be the healthiest things on the menu. But enough about the gluten free stuff!

The other significant change I've made is drinking lots of water. I have at least four 16 ounce bottles of water a day, but most days I have more than that. I usually start my day by filling my empty juice bottles and taking them with me everywhere I go. Sometimes I also fill up my camelbak water bottle or my starbucks cold cup (these actually hold more water). Having it available is the first step to making sure I have enough.

The next step is knowing when to drink it. The juice cleanse was good training for this. They had me drink a bottle of water between every juice. I got used to alternating water with "meals" and have been doing the same thing since I finished my cleanse. I think this initial conditioning to drink lots of water is the hard part. It's got to turn into a habit.

One of the biggest changes I've noticed is my cravings and my satisfaction with what I've eaten. Typically in the evenings I will start wanting sweets. I've found that if I let myself have a bite or two of something sweet and then chug water I don't usually want to finish what I've started to eat. It's enough to have the flavor on my palate. I've also noticed that I naturally just drink more when we go out to eat and that I'm more mindful of the things that I eat and drink that are more dehydrating like alcohol and caffeine. 

I was curious about some of the research on drinking water and weight loss so I google searched and came up with some really great articles. 

Here's a cnn article about the subject. The study found that people who drank two 8 oz. servings of water before meals lost more weight on average than those eating the same diets without drinking water. The same study was also discussed in an article on webmd.

Go forth and drink water friends!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Round 2 Day 21

After my hangover day this last week, I did a bunch of searching to figure out why. There were lots of helpful thoughts and suggestions on the Whole30 forum. I think for me, I probably wasn't eating enough - especially for breakfast. The meal template (which I never even heard of the first round) suggests that your protein at each meal should be the size of the palm of your hand, or fit in the palm of your hand. For me, this means 3 eggs rather than 1 or 2. I also started to add more fat to my meals because I'm supposed to be using a thumb sized amount in each meal. That's really a lot when you think about it. Making some small adjustments to my meals has helped. I read through some of my blog posts about going through this the first time around this same time. It's interesting because it wasn't better. For some reason my memory has me believing that 20 days in, I was cruising. I'm so glad I had this record to look back on. It reminds me that it's not as m

Round 2 Day 16

I wish this post had as much positive enthusiasm as the last, but it's been kind of a difficult week. I woke up this morning with a mild headache feeling like I had a hangover. I couldn't think straight and  just felt worn out. I put in for a sub for the morning and went back to bed. After some cold brew and Tylenol I forced myself to teach my afternoon classes, but I'm tired and still feel the pressure on my skull. Yesterday I woke up in a rage. Rage over the grocery shopping I spent the ENTIRE weekend trying to take care of. Rage over the food I couldn't eat to calm the rage. Rage over how I can't control anyone but myself. Rage over the stupidly over-positive encouraging crap in the day-to-day book I've been using. Shut up book! I'm mad and I want to be mad! I don't want to be told how I can fix it! I just want to be mad! These seem to be the monologues that keep going around and around in my head. Angry Feminist Monologue When did all of the g

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t