Skip to main content

Reality Check

I've been thinking lately about whether I want to continue with this blog or not. I've been keeping it for a couple years now and you would think that with all of the ups and downs I would have gotten somewhere by now. The sad reality is that I've gotten pretty much nowhere. I just can't ever seem to push past the hump and get to a healthy weight. There's always some excuse or something holding me back.

Years of dieting, tracking my calories and points, trying new exercise, trying to find something that will really stick have started to wear me out. I'm feeling motivated again but I can't help but wonder, is it enough? The prospect of trying to track my food intake and trying to exercise with little to no support at home is daunting at best.

Our bathroom scale has had a dead battery for probably two months now. I have no idea how much I weigh right now, and other than my clothes not looking as good around the deflated inner tube that is my belly, I kind of don't really care. So I have to wonder, after all of this time wanting to look hot and feel good in my own skin, do I really want it badly enough? Bad enough to just get it effing taken care of? Bad enough to stop eating so much food? Bad enough to get off my couch and do something about it?

I guess my actions will always answer for me. Right now I have no excuses, just the results of the choices I make every day. If I made different choices, I'd have a different body. End of story.

The answer to whether I'm done blogging or not? No, I'm not done blogging. Because I'm not ready to give up yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t...

If only I had stuck with it

While we were in Los Angeles this last weekend we went to visit Paul's cousin Emily (Hi Emily!), her husband Nick, and their daughter Kate. She had asked me how the exercise was going and I told her that it was hard but I needed to stick it out. We ended up talking about all of the things we've started but quit somewhere along the way. And I started thinking about what it would be like if I'd just stuck to weight watchers or an exercise routine or any of the things I've started that would have had me looking and feeling better by now. There's a book by Malcolm Gladwell called "Outliers". Gladwell talks about a study by Anders Ericsson that shows most people that have mastered a skill have had to spend 10,000 in their life up to that point practicing and working on that skill. I've always considered this relevant to my career but I've never really related it to my weight loss goals. But now I am. If I want to not only improve and succeed at takin...

Tedium

I'm getting kind of tired of tracking my calories. It's become more tedious than it was originally. I think this is partly because I went three days without tracking. Now it feels like a daily chore. I have incentives however to continue. I may as well just come out and say that Paul and I are starting to research and learn about having babies. ***WE ARE NOT PREGNANT YET***. (everyone always asks whenever I mention the "b" word) Nor do we expect to be for at least a few months if not longer depending on how things work out. There are several factors to consider such as whether I get this job in the fall, whether we can afford the birth we want right away, where we're going to put a baby, and other things as well. That said, I need to get healthy for any of this to matter. My biggest concern at this point is that I might have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). I've read about four different books that describe the symptoms and I match every single one of ...