Skip to main content

Sugar High

Last weekend for Easter my mom made an easter basket for Charlotte and another one for the grown ups. It was filled to the brim with bags of candy. Snickers, nuggets, skittles, butterfinger, peanut butter cups galore.
I've found myself in a downward spiral of craptacular eating. Not only have I been finding myself eating candy for breakfast, it seems that regular sodas, fried food, and simple carbs have creeped their way into my diet.
I'm out of control! I'm a snacking fatty food eating fiend! The only redeeming thing about my diet is that at least I'm getting some exercise with my zumba classes. I found out today that eating McDonalds before zumba class is a bad idea. A really really bad idea.
So I'm going on a detox next week. No more candy. No more fast food. Nothing deep fried. No adding sugar to my tea. No adding syrup to my coffee.

On the softball front I'm still on the fence. It turns out that Paul isn't going to be able to play because the Sunday team doesn't need any men. So if I play it will just be me. The main issue is cost. I'm looking at close to $200 for the league and to buy myself a glove. Then there's the cost of travel. Practices are in North Portland which is a bit of a commute for me. I really want to play, but I'm thinking that with our saving for a house and my time stretched as it is, taking on another activity might be too much. So I think for now, zumba is going to have to be good enough by itself. Maybe next year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t...

If only I had stuck with it

While we were in Los Angeles this last weekend we went to visit Paul's cousin Emily (Hi Emily!), her husband Nick, and their daughter Kate. She had asked me how the exercise was going and I told her that it was hard but I needed to stick it out. We ended up talking about all of the things we've started but quit somewhere along the way. And I started thinking about what it would be like if I'd just stuck to weight watchers or an exercise routine or any of the things I've started that would have had me looking and feeling better by now. There's a book by Malcolm Gladwell called "Outliers". Gladwell talks about a study by Anders Ericsson that shows most people that have mastered a skill have had to spend 10,000 in their life up to that point practicing and working on that skill. I've always considered this relevant to my career but I've never really related it to my weight loss goals. But now I am. If I want to not only improve and succeed at takin...

Tedium

I'm getting kind of tired of tracking my calories. It's become more tedious than it was originally. I think this is partly because I went three days without tracking. Now it feels like a daily chore. I have incentives however to continue. I may as well just come out and say that Paul and I are starting to research and learn about having babies. ***WE ARE NOT PREGNANT YET***. (everyone always asks whenever I mention the "b" word) Nor do we expect to be for at least a few months if not longer depending on how things work out. There are several factors to consider such as whether I get this job in the fall, whether we can afford the birth we want right away, where we're going to put a baby, and other things as well. That said, I need to get healthy for any of this to matter. My biggest concern at this point is that I might have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). I've read about four different books that describe the symptoms and I match every single one of ...