Skip to main content

Calorie Counting Day 3 & 4

So far so good. The last two days have been a bit of a challenge, but nothing that I couldn't handle with some determination. I actually have managed to work pizza, onion rings, and beer into my meals! The trick is portion control and anticipation. I knew that we'd be eating out last night so I ate basically just vegetables until then and looked up what I could eat ahead of time so that I wasn't going too far overboard.

Today I paddled and I figured that with a two hour practice (that I felt by the end!) I needed some serious recovery food so I allowed myself to eat eggs and potatoes with a piece of toast afterwards. I talked to my coach about possibly doing some one-on-one paddling so I can get better with the technique and feel more confident on the water. He had corrected me on something today that I didn't even realize what he meant for a good amount of time and I would rather fix those kinds of things without slowing the whole boat down while he explains it to me. I've been really uninterested in going to practice this last week and I think I need another boost to motivate me. It was a bit of a blow when I didn't get to paddle in half of the heats at the last race in spite of the fact that I had been pushing so hard to improve. It felt like I got no reward for my work, and it's hard to stay focused when that happens.

I was able to work some pizza into my diet for dinner. The challenge was not eating more than two slices. Pizza I think is the hardest thing for me because I never feel like I've eaten that much and I end up eating half a pie before I've realized how many calories I've consumed. But I did good and didn't overdo it.

So far the scale hasn't proven anything. I haven't lost any weight at all actually. But it's been so hot the last few days that I'm sure some of it is water weight and I've been drinking water like crazy so I'll just blame that to make myself feel better.

Tomorrow I start a new job and I already know what I'm going to eat. I think this is one of the keys to success. Having food around that you know is okay to eat is immensely helpful even if it's somewhat boring. The other good thing is the excel spreadsheet I've been using to track on. It's actually pretty easy to enter stuff in and to see what I have left for the day with the format I set up. I'm happy to share if anyone wants to see it. If you want me to send you the file let me know! I'm happy to share. So far this is the only thing I've used to track that I'm actually consistent about.

Google Doc of Excel Calorie Counter

Comments

  1. Bethany, you've inspired me to go on a 30 day challenge. I am counting calories (not obsessively, just generally) and walking for an hour a night with the dog! I mapped my route, and went almost 3 miles in an hour with a 400 foot incline! (I was SWEATING, but it felt great!) are you over on www.thedailymile.com?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I am on the daily mile. I haven't used it in awhile because I haven't been running/walking all that much lately. I can start if you want someone to walk with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like that! (for some reason I'm not getting response comments in my inbox, so sorry it took me a while!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Round 2 Day 21

After my hangover day this last week, I did a bunch of searching to figure out why. There were lots of helpful thoughts and suggestions on the Whole30 forum. I think for me, I probably wasn't eating enough - especially for breakfast. The meal template (which I never even heard of the first round) suggests that your protein at each meal should be the size of the palm of your hand, or fit in the palm of your hand. For me, this means 3 eggs rather than 1 or 2. I also started to add more fat to my meals because I'm supposed to be using a thumb sized amount in each meal. That's really a lot when you think about it. Making some small adjustments to my meals has helped. I read through some of my blog posts about going through this the first time around this same time. It's interesting because it wasn't better. For some reason my memory has me believing that 20 days in, I was cruising. I'm so glad I had this record to look back on. It reminds me that it's not as m

Round 2 Day 16

I wish this post had as much positive enthusiasm as the last, but it's been kind of a difficult week. I woke up this morning with a mild headache feeling like I had a hangover. I couldn't think straight and  just felt worn out. I put in for a sub for the morning and went back to bed. After some cold brew and Tylenol I forced myself to teach my afternoon classes, but I'm tired and still feel the pressure on my skull. Yesterday I woke up in a rage. Rage over the grocery shopping I spent the ENTIRE weekend trying to take care of. Rage over the food I couldn't eat to calm the rage. Rage over how I can't control anyone but myself. Rage over the stupidly over-positive encouraging crap in the day-to-day book I've been using. Shut up book! I'm mad and I want to be mad! I don't want to be told how I can fix it! I just want to be mad! These seem to be the monologues that keep going around and around in my head. Angry Feminist Monologue When did all of the g

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t