Skip to main content

SORE

Okay, so I had a bit of a lapse and I wanted to say thank you to everyone that responded. I was having a weak moment and was feeling very discouraged with my efforts. So thank you again for all being so supportive and responsive.

Here's the update on the challenge.

I kind of started it early, so today makes day 5 of my 7/30 day challenge, but to keep everyone on the same page we'll make May 1st the first day.

I'm sort of going easy on the eating restrictions right now. I've continued with the gluten free for the most part. I did give myself a day on Thursday for having done it for a whole week without any slip-ups. Honestly I haven't noticed any difference in my digestion or my energy with change. I'm going to give it another week or two in order to be sure that it will make no difference in my health.

As far as the exercise goes, I went to the free session of Bikram's Yoga yesterday and they let me sign up for the introductory rate again. So I get a month of yoga again. I had intended on having some of my students join me but they missed the free class. They wanted to go to the next class so I agreed to do it again. I think it was a big challenge to do two classes in a day and I'm definitely sore today! But not damaging.

These pictures are of two of my favorite poses. I can almost get to the first part of the one holding your foot in front when I'm balancing on my right foot. It's so difficult to keep your base leg strong enough to be on one foot though! Obviously these photos are of people who are incredible at the poses. If I ever reach their level in my lifetime I'll be impressed with myself.


This picture is of the team that I've been practicing with. They're going to race in Tacoma in two weeks. Today marked three practices with them and it was tough! I have a really difficult time rowing through the whole practice but I think anyone would struggle with the intensity of this exercise as a beginner. Most of the regulars on the team do this and outrigger (another kind of rowing) as well as work out at the gym. These people live and breathe health and fitness. I have to remember that the other new people are in much better shape than I am and I just have to push myself through what my own body can handle. I think after a month of this and yoga and whatever else I squeeze in every day I'll be pretty strong. The next race is in a month in Vancouver BC. I asked the coach about whether I needed to be giving them money or anything and he said that I will eventually and that if I stuck to it and really built up my skill that I might be able to race with them. I think this is a great goal and I'm going to work hard to reach it!

Comments

  1. Hey Beth,

    Just as an FYI, It can take around 3 MONTHS for the gluten that's already in your body to leave. So don't give up, if you really wanna see if gluten-free will make a difference. It takes a pretty hefty time commitment before you'll see the results.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Round 2 Day 21

After my hangover day this last week, I did a bunch of searching to figure out why. There were lots of helpful thoughts and suggestions on the Whole30 forum. I think for me, I probably wasn't eating enough - especially for breakfast. The meal template (which I never even heard of the first round) suggests that your protein at each meal should be the size of the palm of your hand, or fit in the palm of your hand. For me, this means 3 eggs rather than 1 or 2. I also started to add more fat to my meals because I'm supposed to be using a thumb sized amount in each meal. That's really a lot when you think about it. Making some small adjustments to my meals has helped. I read through some of my blog posts about going through this the first time around this same time. It's interesting because it wasn't better. For some reason my memory has me believing that 20 days in, I was cruising. I'm so glad I had this record to look back on. It reminds me that it's not as m

Round 2 Day 16

I wish this post had as much positive enthusiasm as the last, but it's been kind of a difficult week. I woke up this morning with a mild headache feeling like I had a hangover. I couldn't think straight and  just felt worn out. I put in for a sub for the morning and went back to bed. After some cold brew and Tylenol I forced myself to teach my afternoon classes, but I'm tired and still feel the pressure on my skull. Yesterday I woke up in a rage. Rage over the grocery shopping I spent the ENTIRE weekend trying to take care of. Rage over the food I couldn't eat to calm the rage. Rage over how I can't control anyone but myself. Rage over the stupidly over-positive encouraging crap in the day-to-day book I've been using. Shut up book! I'm mad and I want to be mad! I don't want to be told how I can fix it! I just want to be mad! These seem to be the monologues that keep going around and around in my head. Angry Feminist Monologue When did all of the g

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t