Skip to main content

Owning My Germanness

Okay relatives, you probably get this better than anyone, so you have to back me up on this!

My grandpa fell down the basement stairs on New Years Day and broke his leg. Fortunately after several weeks in a recovery facility he's healing up and was able to go home this weekend. I subbed in southeast Portland today so I called my mom to see if I could join her in visiting him. She was at their house so I went over. And then the German Food Assault (I'm going to give it an acronym so it's serious! - GFA) happened.

This has been my experience and Oma's from childhood. I walk in the back door, and the first thing I hear is "Hi Hi! You finally came to see me. What would you like to eat?" As a kid I would always run for the fridge and consume everything in sight. Today, I had to practice the weekday vegetarian plan. She won't leave you alone until you eat something of course, so I had to figure out something to eat so that she'd be satisfied. She had some potatoes amidst the hunter sausage, the liverwurst and the ground beef patties she offered so I ate one of those. And then I thought, I may not have many of these experiences left. My grandpas recovering from a broken leg. Their house has all this stuff in it that has never been there before so he can recover. I don't know how much time I have left to eat german sausage in my oma's kitchen. So I ate one of her meat patties and a small slice of sausage. I'm going to claim a small victory in that I left her house not feeling full and I limited myself to one patty. I can be skinny the rest of my life, and this really won't prevent that. Today, I decided to be my oma's granddaughter.

Popular posts from this blog

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t...

If only I had stuck with it

While we were in Los Angeles this last weekend we went to visit Paul's cousin Emily (Hi Emily!), her husband Nick, and their daughter Kate. She had asked me how the exercise was going and I told her that it was hard but I needed to stick it out. We ended up talking about all of the things we've started but quit somewhere along the way. And I started thinking about what it would be like if I'd just stuck to weight watchers or an exercise routine or any of the things I've started that would have had me looking and feeling better by now. There's a book by Malcolm Gladwell called "Outliers". Gladwell talks about a study by Anders Ericsson that shows most people that have mastered a skill have had to spend 10,000 in their life up to that point practicing and working on that skill. I've always considered this relevant to my career but I've never really related it to my weight loss goals. But now I am. If I want to not only improve and succeed at takin...

Three Realizations

1. I stopped at the restroom in the hotel by the waterfront on my way to dragon boat practice tuesday. There's a full length mirror there. As I came out of the stall to wash my hands I noticed my reflection in it to the side of me. On my way out I stopped in disbelief. I was wearing a very form fitting tank top that dries quickly. Usually I expect to look like a stuffed sausage in it. But I didn't. I had to turn to the side and turn back again to make sure the mirror wasn't at an angle or something that would make me seem thinner. But it wasn't. I actually look better in my clothes. 2. On the way home from dragon boat practice I was thinking about this and also thinking about how I'm tired of counting calories. It occurred to me that I only have to count vigilantly until I weigh what I want to weight. And since I don't, I need to keep doing it. I would be devastated if I gained any weight back. I've reached this point in my dieting many times before. The d...