Skip to main content

Identifying

I just remembered what I wanted to write about so two posts today.
I was thinking about all the sports I used to play. I did Softball for 6 years, Volleyball for 4, I also dabbled in track, basketball, swim team and bowling. I wondered how I could have played so many sports for so long and not ever felt like an athlete. I never felt like I was the same as the girls I played with on my teams. They were volleyball players, I just played volleyball. And I realized it was this attitude that's probably held me back from really being athletic.

I'm not a runner, I'm just running. This has big implications for my success I think. As someone who is just running, I never have to feel bad if I don't ever run a marathon. I don't have to worry about finishing my runs in any sort of timely manner. I walked most of my run today. I'm not a runner so that's okay. I'm just someone who happens to be running to get fit. I'm not a fit person, I'm an unfit person doing what fit people do. I'm not a vegetarian, I just eat what vegetarians eat.

I'm doing so many good things for myself right now. Perhaps it's time to identify as the person that I am. I am a singer. I am a wife. I am an ever changing, ever exploring person. I am a runner. I am a healthy person. I eat healthy, I live healthy. When people meet me, they will learn this about me. This is who I am.

I decided to try on some cute nighties randomly for my honeymoon. I was really surprised at how much I liked the way I looked in them. I have a long way to go, but right now is pretty good too.

Screw the scale!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t...

If only I had stuck with it

While we were in Los Angeles this last weekend we went to visit Paul's cousin Emily (Hi Emily!), her husband Nick, and their daughter Kate. She had asked me how the exercise was going and I told her that it was hard but I needed to stick it out. We ended up talking about all of the things we've started but quit somewhere along the way. And I started thinking about what it would be like if I'd just stuck to weight watchers or an exercise routine or any of the things I've started that would have had me looking and feeling better by now. There's a book by Malcolm Gladwell called "Outliers". Gladwell talks about a study by Anders Ericsson that shows most people that have mastered a skill have had to spend 10,000 in their life up to that point practicing and working on that skill. I've always considered this relevant to my career but I've never really related it to my weight loss goals. But now I am. If I want to not only improve and succeed at takin...

Tedium

I'm getting kind of tired of tracking my calories. It's become more tedious than it was originally. I think this is partly because I went three days without tracking. Now it feels like a daily chore. I have incentives however to continue. I may as well just come out and say that Paul and I are starting to research and learn about having babies. ***WE ARE NOT PREGNANT YET***. (everyone always asks whenever I mention the "b" word) Nor do we expect to be for at least a few months if not longer depending on how things work out. There are several factors to consider such as whether I get this job in the fall, whether we can afford the birth we want right away, where we're going to put a baby, and other things as well. That said, I need to get healthy for any of this to matter. My biggest concern at this point is that I might have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). I've read about four different books that describe the symptoms and I match every single one of ...