Skip to main content

Cure for Shin Splints? Some Research

Okay, I know I may be getting annoying with the massive amount of blogging lately, but I wanted to answer my own question!
So here's some of what I found:

From Wikipedia
Tight calves can cause anterior or frontal 'shin splints'. This occurs when tight calves cause an overstretch of the anterior tibialis—see illustration above. Overstetched muscles become weakened and inflammed. A heavy stretching program for the calf(ves) can alleviate the condition rather quickly.
 There's much more detailed information than this through that link. It explains why they're caused and what you can do to prevent or alleviate your legs when you get shin splints.

Running Injury Free
Has some good tips about how your feet should hit the ground for training purposes and for injury prevention purposes,

Sports Inury Clinic
Has some really good information for treating shin splint pain.

For me, I think my problem might be my shoes. I have flat feet so that when walk my feet tilt in towards each other. When I wear shoes with proper arch support, my feet tilt out so that the soles on the outside edges of my heels wear out (just look at my dansko clogs!). This is also called "overpronation". Can you tell I'm completely fascinated by how our bodies work?
Anyway, I either need to get different shoes or figure out an insole that I can use in them. I should probably also figure out a better stretch routine before I run. I usually only do a couple of quick stretches, but if I'm going to increase my workout intensity, I probably need to be doing a bit better for myself.
Look forward to the post about running stretches!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t...

If only I had stuck with it

While we were in Los Angeles this last weekend we went to visit Paul's cousin Emily (Hi Emily!), her husband Nick, and their daughter Kate. She had asked me how the exercise was going and I told her that it was hard but I needed to stick it out. We ended up talking about all of the things we've started but quit somewhere along the way. And I started thinking about what it would be like if I'd just stuck to weight watchers or an exercise routine or any of the things I've started that would have had me looking and feeling better by now. There's a book by Malcolm Gladwell called "Outliers". Gladwell talks about a study by Anders Ericsson that shows most people that have mastered a skill have had to spend 10,000 in their life up to that point practicing and working on that skill. I've always considered this relevant to my career but I've never really related it to my weight loss goals. But now I am. If I want to not only improve and succeed at takin...

Three Realizations

1. I stopped at the restroom in the hotel by the waterfront on my way to dragon boat practice tuesday. There's a full length mirror there. As I came out of the stall to wash my hands I noticed my reflection in it to the side of me. On my way out I stopped in disbelief. I was wearing a very form fitting tank top that dries quickly. Usually I expect to look like a stuffed sausage in it. But I didn't. I had to turn to the side and turn back again to make sure the mirror wasn't at an angle or something that would make me seem thinner. But it wasn't. I actually look better in my clothes. 2. On the way home from dragon boat practice I was thinking about this and also thinking about how I'm tired of counting calories. It occurred to me that I only have to count vigilantly until I weigh what I want to weight. And since I don't, I need to keep doing it. I would be devastated if I gained any weight back. I've reached this point in my dieting many times before. The d...