Skip to main content

Elliptical Blues

I've been relegated to the elliptical. My chiropractor said that doing a high impact sport like running could put a damper on treatments. He said it was okay for me to do the elliptical though. There's one at my complex I can use, but it needs to be serviced because it grinds and squeaks when used. He said I could walk, but that the elliptical would be better.
I guess this is okay because I'm losing some of my steam with the C25K stuff. I could use a break. I think I will keep up walking so that I can challenge myself at least in some way. It will probably be difficult without the high from running though. That stuff's addictive in an oh so good way!

I've noticed a change in my relationship with food. We got Burgerville for lunch today and I got the bacon cheeseburger because it's my day to eat meat! It was very delicious, but I found myself struggling to order it over the white bean burger they have right now. I kept thinking about how much healthier it is and how much better I would feel if I ate it instead. Fortunately I didn't feel that bad afterward because Burgerville is good people and they don't give you food that makes you sick. I found myself wanting veggie food for dinner though. I had the best falafel sandwich ever at Old Market Pub. The waitress made fun of me because I wanted carrot sticks instead of fries. Carrot sticks wasn't a given option, I asked for them. I wanted them because they actually sounded better than fries. I'm not even kidding. I didn't feel for a second like I was giving up food that I would rather have for food I should have. It wasn't until she made fun of me that I realized what an odd choice it was. Who prefers carrot sticks to fries? Why not just get the salad for crying out loud? Being weird is awesome!

Comments

  1. Wait to go Beth! Hey you should come over to my complex sometime, we have tons of ellipticals, well a full on gym, and FREE yoga on Saturday mornings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the elliptical every day. And while it sometimes gets boring, I have lost about 7 lbs on it. I just watch t.v. or listen to music while on it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t...

If only I had stuck with it

While we were in Los Angeles this last weekend we went to visit Paul's cousin Emily (Hi Emily!), her husband Nick, and their daughter Kate. She had asked me how the exercise was going and I told her that it was hard but I needed to stick it out. We ended up talking about all of the things we've started but quit somewhere along the way. And I started thinking about what it would be like if I'd just stuck to weight watchers or an exercise routine or any of the things I've started that would have had me looking and feeling better by now. There's a book by Malcolm Gladwell called "Outliers". Gladwell talks about a study by Anders Ericsson that shows most people that have mastered a skill have had to spend 10,000 in their life up to that point practicing and working on that skill. I've always considered this relevant to my career but I've never really related it to my weight loss goals. But now I am. If I want to not only improve and succeed at takin...

Tedium

I'm getting kind of tired of tracking my calories. It's become more tedious than it was originally. I think this is partly because I went three days without tracking. Now it feels like a daily chore. I have incentives however to continue. I may as well just come out and say that Paul and I are starting to research and learn about having babies. ***WE ARE NOT PREGNANT YET***. (everyone always asks whenever I mention the "b" word) Nor do we expect to be for at least a few months if not longer depending on how things work out. There are several factors to consider such as whether I get this job in the fall, whether we can afford the birth we want right away, where we're going to put a baby, and other things as well. That said, I need to get healthy for any of this to matter. My biggest concern at this point is that I might have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). I've read about four different books that describe the symptoms and I match every single one of ...