Skip to main content

Why the Japanese are so thin

I've heard it said many times that people from asian cultures are thin because of what they eat. I beg to differ! I went to Uwajimaya's to grab something to eat on my way to choir rehearsal this evening thinking I would find some rice balls or some veggies with rice...something along those lines. I headed over to the deli and began searching for something and soon realized that everything had meat. Everything! Fish, pork, chicken, stuff I'd never thought came from animals! I think American's have bastardized healthy asain food. I ended up with a sweet bun filled with red bean paste. Probably not the least fattening or sweet thing I could have found, but alas the only thing that didn't have any meat.

The good news is that I have half of it figured out. I've been watching tons of Japanese tv shows and in pretty much every episode one of the characters ends up running to catch/find/meet another person. But it's not like a light run, it's full out sprinting every time. These people don't mess around! And it's never a short distance either, it's like two or three minutes of all out sprinting to dramatic music in the rain! For some reason this is motivating to me. Perhaps my runs aren't quite as dramatic, but at least the more I work at this the better my chances of being ready for my dramatic sprinting scene! Or just being ready to wear a smaller size of pants. Either way works for me.

Comments

  1. When I went to China I stayed in a hotel that was on Hong Kong harbor and was fascinated by the hundreds (literally) of people that lined the walk way in the mornings-jogging, walking, stretching. I asked my co-worker about it and she said that exercise is very very important to the Asian culture. They believe in a very well balanced life that includes good eating and exercise.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t...

If only I had stuck with it

While we were in Los Angeles this last weekend we went to visit Paul's cousin Emily (Hi Emily!), her husband Nick, and their daughter Kate. She had asked me how the exercise was going and I told her that it was hard but I needed to stick it out. We ended up talking about all of the things we've started but quit somewhere along the way. And I started thinking about what it would be like if I'd just stuck to weight watchers or an exercise routine or any of the things I've started that would have had me looking and feeling better by now. There's a book by Malcolm Gladwell called "Outliers". Gladwell talks about a study by Anders Ericsson that shows most people that have mastered a skill have had to spend 10,000 in their life up to that point practicing and working on that skill. I've always considered this relevant to my career but I've never really related it to my weight loss goals. But now I am. If I want to not only improve and succeed at takin...

Three Realizations

1. I stopped at the restroom in the hotel by the waterfront on my way to dragon boat practice tuesday. There's a full length mirror there. As I came out of the stall to wash my hands I noticed my reflection in it to the side of me. On my way out I stopped in disbelief. I was wearing a very form fitting tank top that dries quickly. Usually I expect to look like a stuffed sausage in it. But I didn't. I had to turn to the side and turn back again to make sure the mirror wasn't at an angle or something that would make me seem thinner. But it wasn't. I actually look better in my clothes. 2. On the way home from dragon boat practice I was thinking about this and also thinking about how I'm tired of counting calories. It occurred to me that I only have to count vigilantly until I weigh what I want to weight. And since I don't, I need to keep doing it. I would be devastated if I gained any weight back. I've reached this point in my dieting many times before. The d...