Skip to main content

Problems & Solutions

This day, although still near the beginning, is a great day! "But Bethany, why would you say that?" you might ask me. First of all, it's my mom's birthday and I'm a good daughter so I make that a priority. Secondly today is the one and only day that I will have run w3d1 of C25K for the first time.

Many things went through my head followed with the thoughts "oh, I should write that in my blog later!" And it is because of these things that I am writing this post today. So here is the list of problems and the list of solutions.

Problem #1: My headphones have been driving me nuts because they fall out every time I start to run.

Solution: I wore a thermal headband over my ears. This kept them in, but made my head hot. I will probably have to find a new solution next summer when it gets warm again.


Problem #2: My feet hurt like hell when I run!!!

Solution: I can't fix this. I've gone through months of chiropractic treatments, lost weight, and gotten very expensive custom orthotic insoles for my shoes. All of these things have vastly improved my pain levels when I run, but my feet are not going to stop hurting. So the only solution is to SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP!!


Problem #3: My favorite trail for running is under construction! Today I had to run up the side streets in the neighborhood just to have enough ground to run on. Also, the track next to my complex is only open for public use when kids aren't on it. I've gone to run there several times and had to find a less desirable place to run because a PE class was on the track.

Solution: I need to make a list of trails/routes and visit them all. That way if one isn't going to work for reasons beyond my control, I always have somewhere else I can go. It's difficult to stay motivated to run when you're having to run somewhere unfamiliar and the terrain is much more hilly than I'm comfortable with. It also sucks when you get to a place that's dangerous because there's no sidewalk or there's lots of traffic.


Problem #4: Negative thought activity. I get through a bunch of my run and then I start to think about all the things that are going to prevent me from reaching my goal. The worst of these thoughts is when I start to think about running the entire time versus with walking intervals.

Solution: This goes back to the mental training. On my run today I missed the introduction on my podcast that tells you what the intervals will be because I was busy fidgeting with my iPod and trying to read the sign about the trail being closed. So when Robert Ullrey said, "Alright, get ready for your 3 minute run" I almost panicked! But I got through it twice because I talked myself down in my head.

I'm sure I could come up with more, but these were the most prevalent today. The good news is that I'm fixing things as they become a problem and that is a good thing! It would be very easy to just give up and say "running's not for me, I'm going to do something else". But I have to keep at it or I'll never get anywhere!

Comments

  1. I really like the attitude that you're taking. Instead of feeling like other things are getting you down, you're saying "I have been" and taking ownership, and then coming up with solutions. The way you're choosing to empower yourself is inspiring to hear. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t...

If only I had stuck with it

While we were in Los Angeles this last weekend we went to visit Paul's cousin Emily (Hi Emily!), her husband Nick, and their daughter Kate. She had asked me how the exercise was going and I told her that it was hard but I needed to stick it out. We ended up talking about all of the things we've started but quit somewhere along the way. And I started thinking about what it would be like if I'd just stuck to weight watchers or an exercise routine or any of the things I've started that would have had me looking and feeling better by now. There's a book by Malcolm Gladwell called "Outliers". Gladwell talks about a study by Anders Ericsson that shows most people that have mastered a skill have had to spend 10,000 in their life up to that point practicing and working on that skill. I've always considered this relevant to my career but I've never really related it to my weight loss goals. But now I am. If I want to not only improve and succeed at takin...

Three Realizations

1. I stopped at the restroom in the hotel by the waterfront on my way to dragon boat practice tuesday. There's a full length mirror there. As I came out of the stall to wash my hands I noticed my reflection in it to the side of me. On my way out I stopped in disbelief. I was wearing a very form fitting tank top that dries quickly. Usually I expect to look like a stuffed sausage in it. But I didn't. I had to turn to the side and turn back again to make sure the mirror wasn't at an angle or something that would make me seem thinner. But it wasn't. I actually look better in my clothes. 2. On the way home from dragon boat practice I was thinking about this and also thinking about how I'm tired of counting calories. It occurred to me that I only have to count vigilantly until I weigh what I want to weight. And since I don't, I need to keep doing it. I would be devastated if I gained any weight back. I've reached this point in my dieting many times before. The d...