Skip to main content

Day 8

Um. Snacks. Today was snacks. All the snacks. All the kids eating all the snacks. Mom eating all the snacks.

Highlight of my day:

Throwing candy across the parking lot.

I didn't have eggs for breakfast for the first time since I started. I think it was probably a mistake. I've been craving snacks ALL DAY. And my kids have been worse.

They're kind of amazing actually. They pick around their meals and manage to extract anything with natural sugar or that isn't too unappealing. Then they snack like crazy between meals so that by the time we get to the next meal they can get away with not really eating again.

Basically my kids.
Today was the first day that I've thought much about the food I'm not eating. I've been so focused on trying to wrap my head around what I CAN eat that I haven't been too concerned about what I can't eat. But now that I've kind of got a better reign on the program, it's easier to think about what I'm missing.

I decided to put my foot down with the kids. I realize now why I've been so wishy-washy about it. Instead of having the will-power to stay good for myself, I have to have the will-power for 3 people! I ripped a piece of hard-candy out of Archer's hand today that I told him he could have. But I knew he shouldn't have it because not only had he finally been on program all day, he could choke on it. So I ripped it out of his hand and threw it across the parking lot so I couldn't change my mind. Then I had to listen to 10 minutes of screaming.

Charlotte ate her whole dinner. I made a version of kung pao chicken with a whole lot of zucchini and red pepper. I was proud of her for eating it all. She would not have done that a week ago. An hour later she came home asking if she could have pizza at the neighbors. *sigh* Fine. Have pizza. I don't care anymore.

Since dinner I've been trying to avoid snacking, but I want to so bad! I see 3 possible culprits. I had home-made kombucha with breakfast. The challenge with kombucha is that it's allowed on the program, but you have to let it ferment enough so that sugars are consumed. I don't know if it was fermented enough. I also don't think I had enough protein at breakfast becuase I just wanted to eat snacks all day - especially after dinner. I'm supposed to start over with a slip-up, but I don't know if I had one or not.

I struggled today. I'm going to eat eggs tomorrow.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t...

If only I had stuck with it

While we were in Los Angeles this last weekend we went to visit Paul's cousin Emily (Hi Emily!), her husband Nick, and their daughter Kate. She had asked me how the exercise was going and I told her that it was hard but I needed to stick it out. We ended up talking about all of the things we've started but quit somewhere along the way. And I started thinking about what it would be like if I'd just stuck to weight watchers or an exercise routine or any of the things I've started that would have had me looking and feeling better by now. There's a book by Malcolm Gladwell called "Outliers". Gladwell talks about a study by Anders Ericsson that shows most people that have mastered a skill have had to spend 10,000 in their life up to that point practicing and working on that skill. I've always considered this relevant to my career but I've never really related it to my weight loss goals. But now I am. If I want to not only improve and succeed at takin...

Tedium

I'm getting kind of tired of tracking my calories. It's become more tedious than it was originally. I think this is partly because I went three days without tracking. Now it feels like a daily chore. I have incentives however to continue. I may as well just come out and say that Paul and I are starting to research and learn about having babies. ***WE ARE NOT PREGNANT YET***. (everyone always asks whenever I mention the "b" word) Nor do we expect to be for at least a few months if not longer depending on how things work out. There are several factors to consider such as whether I get this job in the fall, whether we can afford the birth we want right away, where we're going to put a baby, and other things as well. That said, I need to get healthy for any of this to matter. My biggest concern at this point is that I might have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). I've read about four different books that describe the symptoms and I match every single one of ...