Skip to main content

Day 14

Um...this book promised me food porn dreams and I have yet to have any. I'm a bit disappointed.

"Day 12 to 15: I dream of...junk food?"

LIES!

No sweat though, I have plenty to be happy about. I managed to not have any major snafus today! And my kids didn't throw giant fits over food! It was a good day.

I had a bit of a hazy headache today that I'll attribute to inconsistent sleep patterns and no coffee today. There shall be coffee tomorrow. But overall, I'm starting to feel pretty good.

With several errands to run today, I packed lunch (leftover chicken legs, sliced cucumber, carrot sticks, two apples, almond butter, two packets of cashews, and a white nectarine) in a mini-cooler to have on hand so the kids wouldn't be whiny all day. It worked! Archer actually asked specifically for cashews!

Let me just say, we haven't eaten exclusively from home in a very long time. The sheer volume of actual food I have to buy is kind of amazing to me. I mean, I know we ate the same amount of food (probably more) when we were eating out all the time, but...did you read that cooler list? I have to have all this stuff to put in the cooler, which means going out into the grocery abyss and actually buying all of it. I'm hoping that my trips to the grocery store start reducing to once or twice a week rather than the nearly daily "oops I forgot..." trips I keep having to make. I'm also becoming less afraid to buy more food all at once. I know that the impact on our bank account will be an improvement. I can count on one hand the number of times I've eaten out the last two weeks and while we're spending more on groceries, the cost of each meal is significantly less than what we spent eating out. This is good!

I got home around 4 this afternoon and started slowly plotting dinner. (I get so sleepy in the afternoon!) We ended up having meat and potatoes. I did cast iron steaks with the Jacobsen steak seasoning and coined baby potatoes tossed in some oil and salt and roasted. Kids were in heaven. I made myself an heirloom tomato salad with a tarragon vinaigrette to go with it - a girl needs her acid to cut through all the rich food now.

After dinner, I actually had some energy! The tired wore off and I took the kids for a mile walk around the block before bed. Something about going for a walk in the evening just makes me feel like I have my shit together.

This seems to be going in the right direction! Kids got to bed at a decent hour, I'm going to bed at a decent hour, there were no major tantrums or fights, everyone kind of went with the day. Fingers crossed that more of them will be like this!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t...

If only I had stuck with it

While we were in Los Angeles this last weekend we went to visit Paul's cousin Emily (Hi Emily!), her husband Nick, and their daughter Kate. She had asked me how the exercise was going and I told her that it was hard but I needed to stick it out. We ended up talking about all of the things we've started but quit somewhere along the way. And I started thinking about what it would be like if I'd just stuck to weight watchers or an exercise routine or any of the things I've started that would have had me looking and feeling better by now. There's a book by Malcolm Gladwell called "Outliers". Gladwell talks about a study by Anders Ericsson that shows most people that have mastered a skill have had to spend 10,000 in their life up to that point practicing and working on that skill. I've always considered this relevant to my career but I've never really related it to my weight loss goals. But now I am. If I want to not only improve and succeed at takin...

Three Realizations

1. I stopped at the restroom in the hotel by the waterfront on my way to dragon boat practice tuesday. There's a full length mirror there. As I came out of the stall to wash my hands I noticed my reflection in it to the side of me. On my way out I stopped in disbelief. I was wearing a very form fitting tank top that dries quickly. Usually I expect to look like a stuffed sausage in it. But I didn't. I had to turn to the side and turn back again to make sure the mirror wasn't at an angle or something that would make me seem thinner. But it wasn't. I actually look better in my clothes. 2. On the way home from dragon boat practice I was thinking about this and also thinking about how I'm tired of counting calories. It occurred to me that I only have to count vigilantly until I weigh what I want to weight. And since I don't, I need to keep doing it. I would be devastated if I gained any weight back. I've reached this point in my dieting many times before. The d...