Skip to main content

Gluten Free Day 12

First I want to say thank you to my readers who still follow this blog. I've been keeping it for a little over three years now, and while it does go neglected at times, I'm making an effort to be more diligent about posting again. 

Next I must reel from my previous post. After all of my whining I weighed myself this morning and found myself 6 pounds down from when I weighed myself Saturday morning. This is a different story than what I had been so frustrated about.

This does not let me off the hook however. Just because the scale is down doesn't mean my work is done. A contraire! Glancing through the onslaught of recent facebook pictures does me no favors. I want to look hot in a bathing suit before I die. I have many more pounds to go.  

Now onward!

I've been having some deep philosophical thoughts about this whole gluten free thing since I started. One of the things I've noticed is that I file away the things I will eat when I've decided not to stay gluten free. I realize this thinking is probably not setting me up for the most success. The point of going gluten free is to determine if it is best to STAY gluten free. Realizing this also has me contemplating life without so many foods. While food has come a long way in terms of being friendlier towards allergies and health needs, there is still no substitute for a fresh hot baguette or the wonderful chewiness of nicely cooked pasta. I feel like I need to hold a funeral for all of the foods I may not ever eat again. It's a serious loss!

Another thing I've noticed is the distinction between having an allergy and having an intolerance. If I mention I'm gluten free at a restaurant I end up with food that is extremely cautious (i.e. the instance at red robin that had me so frustrated). I decided to try a gluten free pizza from Godfathers (the price was enough to limit pizza to a very infrequent indulgence) and the delivery guy had it in it's own warming bag and the box was sealed with a sticker that warned about cross contamination. If I had celiacs I would greatly appreciate this. Since I don't I kind of feel like some of this is a bit overkill and perhaps it's not always necessary to mention that I'm trying to be gluten free. If spores of wheat grace whatever food I might be eating I think I'll be okay. 

The pros of maintaining the gluten free diet seem to be the numbers of calories I'm avoiding and that avoiding said calories has been very helpful in curbing my cravings for more carbs and sugar. Here's what I ate today:
Amaranth, berries, honey and butter
a lamb sausage, heirloom tomato salad with onions, fresh mozzarella and olive oil
peanuts in the shell, a piece of chocolate, a gf chocolate brownie bite, soy sauce rice crackers
gluten free pizza, salad, and watermelon

 While I'm not exactly staying within my 1200 calories as prescribe by my livestrong app, I'm definitely staying under 2000 a day, I'm eating lots of fruits and vegetables, and I'm in no way feeling deprived. Another part of my satisfaction, I'm sure, can be credited to the amount of water I'm managing to drink every day.   

I feel like I'm on the right track and that food is not so complicated as it sometimes can feel. If I can get my exercise to catch up to my eating habits by the end of the summer, I think I'll be in good shape to reach my goal weight as the school year starts and things get busy again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t...

If only I had stuck with it

While we were in Los Angeles this last weekend we went to visit Paul's cousin Emily (Hi Emily!), her husband Nick, and their daughter Kate. She had asked me how the exercise was going and I told her that it was hard but I needed to stick it out. We ended up talking about all of the things we've started but quit somewhere along the way. And I started thinking about what it would be like if I'd just stuck to weight watchers or an exercise routine or any of the things I've started that would have had me looking and feeling better by now. There's a book by Malcolm Gladwell called "Outliers". Gladwell talks about a study by Anders Ericsson that shows most people that have mastered a skill have had to spend 10,000 in their life up to that point practicing and working on that skill. I've always considered this relevant to my career but I've never really related it to my weight loss goals. But now I am. If I want to not only improve and succeed at takin...

Tedium

I'm getting kind of tired of tracking my calories. It's become more tedious than it was originally. I think this is partly because I went three days without tracking. Now it feels like a daily chore. I have incentives however to continue. I may as well just come out and say that Paul and I are starting to research and learn about having babies. ***WE ARE NOT PREGNANT YET***. (everyone always asks whenever I mention the "b" word) Nor do we expect to be for at least a few months if not longer depending on how things work out. There are several factors to consider such as whether I get this job in the fall, whether we can afford the birth we want right away, where we're going to put a baby, and other things as well. That said, I need to get healthy for any of this to matter. My biggest concern at this point is that I might have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). I've read about four different books that describe the symptoms and I match every single one of ...