Skip to main content

Project: Skinny Butt

It seems that it's been a few months since I've posted to this blog...like, 7 months. Now that baby's out and I can exercise it's time to get my behind into gear! I had intended on really hunkering down when Charlotte got to 6 weeks old (which was a week ago). Rather, I really started thinking about it and entertaining ideas for what I wanted to do to get back in shape for the last week and yesterday was my redemption day.

So now in the spirit of what's worked for me in the past I'm on a new path. I have two goals right now.

Short term is that I have a bridesmaids dress I have to squeeze into on the 28th this month. I had to buy it when I was 8 1/2 months pregnant without any idea how big I'd be now. Thankfully it fits but it's snug. So I would like to get it to be a bit more comfortable.

Long term is that I'd like to get back to paddling. I had multiple dreams about dragon boating when I was pregnant and I miss it somethin' fierce! My team is apparently kicking ass and taking names without me and every time they post pictures and status updates about races I long to be with them again. I have a long way to go before I'm back to racing shape again, but I'm ready to work on it!

My second long term is to get back to pre-baby weight, which was 170lbs. I ballooned to 215 at the end of my pregnancy and am down to 200 now. I have 30 to go. Ultimately, I would like to lose more than this, but I figure it's a good place to start.

I call these goals Project: Skinny Butt - mostly because last night at water aerobics I told my instructor that I needed my butt skinnier to fit in my bridesmaids dress. It would fit if my butt wasn't so huge.

For Project: Skinny Butt I have come up with an outline of what I'll do and what I'd like to look into.

First I need some form of exercise every day. I have two and a half weeks until this wedding so here's my plan:





9th Tues (yesterday): water aerobics with added kick board

10th Wed (today): 20 minutes on the elliptical 

11th Thurs: water aerobics + kick board

12th Fri: 20-30 minutes exercise bike

13th Sat: Same as Friday

14th Sun: 30 minutes on the elliptical or walk

15th Mon: I'll be at the beach so 30-60 minute walk(s)

16th Tues: Same as Monday

17th Wed: Same as Monday

18th Thurs: water aerobics + kick board

19th Fri: 30 minutes on the elliptical + packing

20th Sat: 30 minutes on the elliptical or walk

21st Sun: 30 minutes on the elliptical or walk

22nd Mon: figure out something new

23rd Tues: water aerobics + kick board

24th Wed: 40 minutes elliptical
+ moving
25th Thurs: water aerobics + kick board + moving

26th Fri: 40 minutes elliptical
+ moving
27th & 28th: two days of weddings = take a break lady!




For the long term stuff, I'm debating between joining 24 hour fitness or doing a month of weight watchers after we move in with my parents. I'm going to try to resume my calorie counting method but I think weight watchers would be a good jump start. I'm also going to save my pennies to try out this tummy team thing my sis-in-law recommended to me. She got fabulous results and I'm sold, I just need money to do it. I think it would really help core strength to get me ready to paddle again.

Comments

  1. Hey Beth,
    If you have enough pennies to buy the Splint off the Tummy Team website, you should try just that until you can do the program. It straps everything together so your muscles can start healing, and you'll noticeably see a difference after a week. It's fast results that might get you comfortable in that dress! Kelly ships really really fast, too. I ordered a second splint from her and it was here two days later. A word to the wise, go bigger on the splint than you'll think you need. I got the small originally and felt like I was being cut in half.
    Plus you'll already have your splint then when it's time for the class! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t...

If only I had stuck with it

While we were in Los Angeles this last weekend we went to visit Paul's cousin Emily (Hi Emily!), her husband Nick, and their daughter Kate. She had asked me how the exercise was going and I told her that it was hard but I needed to stick it out. We ended up talking about all of the things we've started but quit somewhere along the way. And I started thinking about what it would be like if I'd just stuck to weight watchers or an exercise routine or any of the things I've started that would have had me looking and feeling better by now. There's a book by Malcolm Gladwell called "Outliers". Gladwell talks about a study by Anders Ericsson that shows most people that have mastered a skill have had to spend 10,000 in their life up to that point practicing and working on that skill. I've always considered this relevant to my career but I've never really related it to my weight loss goals. But now I am. If I want to not only improve and succeed at takin...

Three Realizations

1. I stopped at the restroom in the hotel by the waterfront on my way to dragon boat practice tuesday. There's a full length mirror there. As I came out of the stall to wash my hands I noticed my reflection in it to the side of me. On my way out I stopped in disbelief. I was wearing a very form fitting tank top that dries quickly. Usually I expect to look like a stuffed sausage in it. But I didn't. I had to turn to the side and turn back again to make sure the mirror wasn't at an angle or something that would make me seem thinner. But it wasn't. I actually look better in my clothes. 2. On the way home from dragon boat practice I was thinking about this and also thinking about how I'm tired of counting calories. It occurred to me that I only have to count vigilantly until I weigh what I want to weight. And since I don't, I need to keep doing it. I would be devastated if I gained any weight back. I've reached this point in my dieting many times before. The d...