Skip to main content

Back on Track

Today was the first day that I have attempted to get back on track for C25K. I know I posted awhile ago that I was going to do so, but I managed to injure my foot in a mad dash through a parking lot. I must give credit to my awesome husband who chased me with his hands covered in wet polyurethane. At any rate, I wasn't wearing good shoes and I wasn't wearing my orthotics and I don't know what I did exactly but the top of my foot hurt for about 3 weeks after.

Well, now it feels better. So I decided to gear up and get my ass back outside. I bought some running shorts, which I've never owned before, and I really like them! They actually have room in them for people to have some junk in the trunk! New stuff always helps push me to do something with it. I can't be dressed in fancy new running clothes and not go running!

Anyway, I decided to just walk today to get back in the habit. I figured if I had a destination I would walk further (which was true) so I took off down a side road to find the trail that I like to go to. Normally I drive there, so I thought I'd see if I could walk there. I didn't find it, but I did find a playground that I remember my mom bringing my siblings and me to when we were kids. It's especially grand with lots of places to hide and crawl. I have lofty plans to take nephews there in the future!

So, I'm glad that I got back out and am starting to work on this again. I was thinking about a goal I can make, and I thought it might be fun to put together a team for Race for the Cure. I think between Paul and I there are four women in our immediate and extended families that have battled breast cancer and it just seems like we should support it. So, if anyone else is interested in being on a team, let me know and I'll start putting it together!

Comments

  1. I would join a team depending on how long the run is. I'm not in full marathon shape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking at the information and there are several races:

    http://www.komenoregon.org/Race_for_the_Cure/Portland/About_the_Race/Event_Information.shtml

    I think I would opt probably for the untimed co-ed 5k run at 7:45 or the untimed 5k walk at 9.

    I just talked to someone too and they said it costs $30 for each entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh. Maybe I should restart the c25k again too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t...

If only I had stuck with it

While we were in Los Angeles this last weekend we went to visit Paul's cousin Emily (Hi Emily!), her husband Nick, and their daughter Kate. She had asked me how the exercise was going and I told her that it was hard but I needed to stick it out. We ended up talking about all of the things we've started but quit somewhere along the way. And I started thinking about what it would be like if I'd just stuck to weight watchers or an exercise routine or any of the things I've started that would have had me looking and feeling better by now. There's a book by Malcolm Gladwell called "Outliers". Gladwell talks about a study by Anders Ericsson that shows most people that have mastered a skill have had to spend 10,000 in their life up to that point practicing and working on that skill. I've always considered this relevant to my career but I've never really related it to my weight loss goals. But now I am. If I want to not only improve and succeed at takin...

Tedium

I'm getting kind of tired of tracking my calories. It's become more tedious than it was originally. I think this is partly because I went three days without tracking. Now it feels like a daily chore. I have incentives however to continue. I may as well just come out and say that Paul and I are starting to research and learn about having babies. ***WE ARE NOT PREGNANT YET***. (everyone always asks whenever I mention the "b" word) Nor do we expect to be for at least a few months if not longer depending on how things work out. There are several factors to consider such as whether I get this job in the fall, whether we can afford the birth we want right away, where we're going to put a baby, and other things as well. That said, I need to get healthy for any of this to matter. My biggest concern at this point is that I might have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). I've read about four different books that describe the symptoms and I match every single one of ...