Skip to main content

Things to consider

Well, I have returned from my four day trip to san fransisco with the choir at Wilson intact. I was quite sleep deprived and cranky, but I did survive. Now, three days later, I can't seem to catch up on the sleep thing. I set my alarm to go dragon boating this morning and talked myself out of it since I felt like I was dreaming when I hit the snooze button for the fifth time.

I do want to do a team sport. This is something I need to be very on top of to make it happen. I think that the expectation a team puts on you to be at practices and races would be a great way for me to be active on a regular basis. I may have to find a team that practices at a time that I can make it to on a more consistent basis.

I've been on this vegetarian kick for quite some time now and it's made absolutely no difference in my size and shape. I should probably journal to keep track of the number of calories I'm taking in. Probably. But I hate writing down what I eat and it's not something I will ever do as part of my lifestyle so I need to find another solution.

A student of mine whose mom owns a Curves suggested to me that I might have a gluten allergy. I have contemplated going gluten free before but there is gluten in half of what I eat! I suppose if that's the case I've basically been writing myself a death sentence regardless of what things I cut out of my diet.

Basically anything with wheat or barley has gluten in it. So breads, pastas, beer, cereal, pastries, and a bunch of other random things.
This would be a very difficult and dramatic shift in my eating habits. Just yesterday I had a peanut butter (with flaxseeds!) sandwich on daves killer bread, an avocado sandwich for lunch, mushroom ravioli at happy hour and a late dinner of stir fried vegetables with yakisoba noodles. There was not a meal that I had without gluten in it! So perhaps I should do what I've been doing with meat and be gluten free most days of the week so that I'm not feeling like I'm completely deprived. I think I will finish off my killer bread first since it's not cheap and it's my absolute favorite!

Is anyone else gluten free that can tell me what you've found to eat as staples of your diet?

Comments

  1. I have a friend who is allergic to gluten and she gets very sick. Unless you get sick after every meal, I'm guessing your not allergic to gluten. And cooking gluten free is a huge pain! And eating out is even harder. I say embrace gluten if you can. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t...

If only I had stuck with it

While we were in Los Angeles this last weekend we went to visit Paul's cousin Emily (Hi Emily!), her husband Nick, and their daughter Kate. She had asked me how the exercise was going and I told her that it was hard but I needed to stick it out. We ended up talking about all of the things we've started but quit somewhere along the way. And I started thinking about what it would be like if I'd just stuck to weight watchers or an exercise routine or any of the things I've started that would have had me looking and feeling better by now. There's a book by Malcolm Gladwell called "Outliers". Gladwell talks about a study by Anders Ericsson that shows most people that have mastered a skill have had to spend 10,000 in their life up to that point practicing and working on that skill. I've always considered this relevant to my career but I've never really related it to my weight loss goals. But now I am. If I want to not only improve and succeed at takin...

Three Realizations

1. I stopped at the restroom in the hotel by the waterfront on my way to dragon boat practice tuesday. There's a full length mirror there. As I came out of the stall to wash my hands I noticed my reflection in it to the side of me. On my way out I stopped in disbelief. I was wearing a very form fitting tank top that dries quickly. Usually I expect to look like a stuffed sausage in it. But I didn't. I had to turn to the side and turn back again to make sure the mirror wasn't at an angle or something that would make me seem thinner. But it wasn't. I actually look better in my clothes. 2. On the way home from dragon boat practice I was thinking about this and also thinking about how I'm tired of counting calories. It occurred to me that I only have to count vigilantly until I weigh what I want to weight. And since I don't, I need to keep doing it. I would be devastated if I gained any weight back. I've reached this point in my dieting many times before. The d...