Skip to main content

When to "Cheat"

The picture you see here is of the coney fries at Roake's. I'm sure many have never experienced them, but for those that have, you cannot live knowing your health depends on your never having them again. The fries are skin-on and perfectly chewy and crispy at the same time. The coney sauce is spicy and rich, the cheese is gooey and fatty and delicious. The tomatoes add a fresh light juiciness to the otherwise rich meaty flavor. This to me is the epitome of greasy, grubby, fatty, over-indulgent, wonderful gut-busting food.

Everyone has their one dish that completely destroys their healthy eating intentions. I'm sure to some this giant platter of deep fried mush looks absolutely repulsive. But for me, this is my best friend and my worst enemy.

My mom, sister, and I have been using the lose-it app for awhile now and it's interesting how we all regard it differently. My mom and I are dieting veterans and take any restrictions on our eating habits with a grain of salt. But my sister is fairly new to this whole concept of keeping a food log. It was kind of interesting to watch her discovery of how many calories are actually in the foods she eats. I can recall a time when I hit that wall and went Special K crazy (we currently have about 6 boxes of various Special K foods in our pantry that belong to my sister now). At the moment she is perusing a coupon book and contemplating what food she can still eat "safely".

For my sister, something like these fries wouldn't be too much of a trip up. She'd have the self control to only eat a certain portion of them or to only eat a dish this calorie rich once before getting right back on track again. But for me, I give myself a day, and then it turns into two days, and then a week, a couple months, and then I have to start over again. Self control much?

So why point this out? Because what kind of life would I have left if I never got to eat coney fries again? Not one I want to live. I'm not gonna lie, if I had to choose between being fat and never eating this again, I'd have a hard time deciding. But there's no reason I can't have my fries and my health.

I think what I'm finally starting to master is learning when to cheat. The trouble seems to be that I have my fries, and then I have my cake, and my pie, and my burger, and my chicken wings and then I give up and start all over again a few months later. What I've finally managed to do is to pull myself out of my cycle. Yeah, I stopped tracking for several days, but I've been tracking and staying within my calorie range for the last three days and that's nothing to sneeze at considering how much I normally hate keeping a food log.

I feel as though I've overcome a hump that I've been trying to get over for years. I guess we'll see if it's as significant as I think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t...

If only I had stuck with it

While we were in Los Angeles this last weekend we went to visit Paul's cousin Emily (Hi Emily!), her husband Nick, and their daughter Kate. She had asked me how the exercise was going and I told her that it was hard but I needed to stick it out. We ended up talking about all of the things we've started but quit somewhere along the way. And I started thinking about what it would be like if I'd just stuck to weight watchers or an exercise routine or any of the things I've started that would have had me looking and feeling better by now. There's a book by Malcolm Gladwell called "Outliers". Gladwell talks about a study by Anders Ericsson that shows most people that have mastered a skill have had to spend 10,000 in their life up to that point practicing and working on that skill. I've always considered this relevant to my career but I've never really related it to my weight loss goals. But now I am. If I want to not only improve and succeed at takin...

Three Realizations

1. I stopped at the restroom in the hotel by the waterfront on my way to dragon boat practice tuesday. There's a full length mirror there. As I came out of the stall to wash my hands I noticed my reflection in it to the side of me. On my way out I stopped in disbelief. I was wearing a very form fitting tank top that dries quickly. Usually I expect to look like a stuffed sausage in it. But I didn't. I had to turn to the side and turn back again to make sure the mirror wasn't at an angle or something that would make me seem thinner. But it wasn't. I actually look better in my clothes. 2. On the way home from dragon boat practice I was thinking about this and also thinking about how I'm tired of counting calories. It occurred to me that I only have to count vigilantly until I weigh what I want to weight. And since I don't, I need to keep doing it. I would be devastated if I gained any weight back. I've reached this point in my dieting many times before. The d...