Skip to main content

Physical Therapy



Yesterday I had my initial consultation with my physical therapist. I had asked my doctor for a referral so I could get my abs worked back to center. She sent me to CH Physical Therapy.

I have to say I feel a sense of hope like I've never had before. Tawnie, my therapist, measured my mobility and asked me what all of my issues were. After just a few minutes I already felt like the problems I have were not only better but were going to be better in the long run. She told me that we'd work on getting me to a place where my feet, calves, and shins don't hurt when I run, that I'd lose weight, and that I'd be able to keep it off. She also told me she has 3 kids, lost 65 pounds 6 years ago and hasn't gained it back. She knows what she's doing!

So part of my program is to send her my daily food log in an e-mail. Lucky for me, I have the Lose It! app that makes this really easy to do.

Speaking of which, I've managed to lose some weight! Almost 5 pounds this week! I found this somewhat surprising considering I haven't managed to stay within my calorie limit more than once so far, but I've stayed around 1500 and that seems to be good enough. I've not been feeling particularly well the last couple days either so eating hasn't been very appealing. This seems to be the winning strategy so far. The best part is that I still eat what I want, I just think about whether I really need what I'm eating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t...

If only I had stuck with it

While we were in Los Angeles this last weekend we went to visit Paul's cousin Emily (Hi Emily!), her husband Nick, and their daughter Kate. She had asked me how the exercise was going and I told her that it was hard but I needed to stick it out. We ended up talking about all of the things we've started but quit somewhere along the way. And I started thinking about what it would be like if I'd just stuck to weight watchers or an exercise routine or any of the things I've started that would have had me looking and feeling better by now. There's a book by Malcolm Gladwell called "Outliers". Gladwell talks about a study by Anders Ericsson that shows most people that have mastered a skill have had to spend 10,000 in their life up to that point practicing and working on that skill. I've always considered this relevant to my career but I've never really related it to my weight loss goals. But now I am. If I want to not only improve and succeed at takin...

Three Realizations

1. I stopped at the restroom in the hotel by the waterfront on my way to dragon boat practice tuesday. There's a full length mirror there. As I came out of the stall to wash my hands I noticed my reflection in it to the side of me. On my way out I stopped in disbelief. I was wearing a very form fitting tank top that dries quickly. Usually I expect to look like a stuffed sausage in it. But I didn't. I had to turn to the side and turn back again to make sure the mirror wasn't at an angle or something that would make me seem thinner. But it wasn't. I actually look better in my clothes. 2. On the way home from dragon boat practice I was thinking about this and also thinking about how I'm tired of counting calories. It occurred to me that I only have to count vigilantly until I weigh what I want to weight. And since I don't, I need to keep doing it. I would be devastated if I gained any weight back. I've reached this point in my dieting many times before. The d...