Skip to main content

The Bottom of the Bottomless Pit

I'm in a slump. I really bad slump. A slump that I don't even know how to begin to solve slump.
Lately I've been a little more than busy and exercise just isn't happening. I've been a little less than happy and food is the key to my happiness lately.

Yesterday I had a "I'm turning 28 this month" reality check. I'm had a voice lesson where we decided to focus on my work to prepare for the met audition. For anyone that doesn't know the met audition is the new york  metropolitan opera competition where they award large cash prizes to winners and it's an opportunity for singers to "get discovered". I spent some time Friday evening researching it to find out when it is, what I need to do to prep for it, and who has done well in the past.
What I found is that past winners and mentionable participants have resumes that make me look like an amateur. And most of those participants are younger than I am. This combined with the fact that I can only participate 3 times before I'm too old and that I feel so behind in spite of my experience had me in tears in my lesson. And I didn't really realize it was because of my birthday this month until I started to think about it in the car on the way home and burst into tears.
Now, I know I'm not that old. And I know most of the people that are reading this are older. But that doesn't mean you didn't feel the same way when you turned 28!
In my unexpected mourning episode I started to think about how to be in better health as I approach what feels like a significant birthday now - significant because I've never cared about getting older until now. And as I started to go through the how-to list of things I could do I realized I really don't want to do anything.

I enjoy exercise but it's so hard to fit it in when I feel like I'm not doing the best job taking care of my baby. I'd work on couch to 5k again but I feel like it jacks up my body and I spend a fortune fixing it at the chiropractor. I'd eat better but it's nearly impossible without spending a bunch of extra money on food when I share meals with 4 other people most of the time. And it doesn't help that my appetite is ridiculous. I end up having second lunch, second dinner, first, second, and third dessert. I drink regular soda. I eat candy. I don't even hesitate when there's fried food to be had. I am a bottomless pit. I eat until I'm miserable, wait an hour, and eat again.

I feel like this whole weight loss thing has spiraled so far out of control and the worst of it is that I don't even care enough to really buckle down and do anything about it. It doesn't help that nobody in my household is willing to do anything remotely helpful to encourage or support me. I tried to convince Paul to train to run a 5k with me but he refuses. I feel like I've completely lost all motivation and all support to do better.

Typically I come up with some sort of solution to battle my frustrations when I get down on myself like this, but I'm out of ideas. Seriously. I don't even know if I believe that I'm ever going to know what it's like to be a healthy weight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t...

If only I had stuck with it

While we were in Los Angeles this last weekend we went to visit Paul's cousin Emily (Hi Emily!), her husband Nick, and their daughter Kate. She had asked me how the exercise was going and I told her that it was hard but I needed to stick it out. We ended up talking about all of the things we've started but quit somewhere along the way. And I started thinking about what it would be like if I'd just stuck to weight watchers or an exercise routine or any of the things I've started that would have had me looking and feeling better by now. There's a book by Malcolm Gladwell called "Outliers". Gladwell talks about a study by Anders Ericsson that shows most people that have mastered a skill have had to spend 10,000 in their life up to that point practicing and working on that skill. I've always considered this relevant to my career but I've never really related it to my weight loss goals. But now I am. If I want to not only improve and succeed at takin...

Three Realizations

1. I stopped at the restroom in the hotel by the waterfront on my way to dragon boat practice tuesday. There's a full length mirror there. As I came out of the stall to wash my hands I noticed my reflection in it to the side of me. On my way out I stopped in disbelief. I was wearing a very form fitting tank top that dries quickly. Usually I expect to look like a stuffed sausage in it. But I didn't. I had to turn to the side and turn back again to make sure the mirror wasn't at an angle or something that would make me seem thinner. But it wasn't. I actually look better in my clothes. 2. On the way home from dragon boat practice I was thinking about this and also thinking about how I'm tired of counting calories. It occurred to me that I only have to count vigilantly until I weigh what I want to weight. And since I don't, I need to keep doing it. I would be devastated if I gained any weight back. I've reached this point in my dieting many times before. The d...