Skip to main content

SORE

Okay, so I had a bit of a lapse and I wanted to say thank you to everyone that responded. I was having a weak moment and was feeling very discouraged with my efforts. So thank you again for all being so supportive and responsive.

Here's the update on the challenge.

I kind of started it early, so today makes day 5 of my 7/30 day challenge, but to keep everyone on the same page we'll make May 1st the first day.

I'm sort of going easy on the eating restrictions right now. I've continued with the gluten free for the most part. I did give myself a day on Thursday for having done it for a whole week without any slip-ups. Honestly I haven't noticed any difference in my digestion or my energy with change. I'm going to give it another week or two in order to be sure that it will make no difference in my health.

As far as the exercise goes, I went to the free session of Bikram's Yoga yesterday and they let me sign up for the introductory rate again. So I get a month of yoga again. I had intended on having some of my students join me but they missed the free class. They wanted to go to the next class so I agreed to do it again. I think it was a big challenge to do two classes in a day and I'm definitely sore today! But not damaging.

These pictures are of two of my favorite poses. I can almost get to the first part of the one holding your foot in front when I'm balancing on my right foot. It's so difficult to keep your base leg strong enough to be on one foot though! Obviously these photos are of people who are incredible at the poses. If I ever reach their level in my lifetime I'll be impressed with myself.


This picture is of the team that I've been practicing with. They're going to race in Tacoma in two weeks. Today marked three practices with them and it was tough! I have a really difficult time rowing through the whole practice but I think anyone would struggle with the intensity of this exercise as a beginner. Most of the regulars on the team do this and outrigger (another kind of rowing) as well as work out at the gym. These people live and breathe health and fitness. I have to remember that the other new people are in much better shape than I am and I just have to push myself through what my own body can handle. I think after a month of this and yoga and whatever else I squeeze in every day I'll be pretty strong. The next race is in a month in Vancouver BC. I asked the coach about whether I needed to be giving them money or anything and he said that I will eventually and that if I stuck to it and really built up my skill that I might be able to race with them. I think this is a great goal and I'm going to work hard to reach it!

Comments

  1. Hey Beth,

    Just as an FYI, It can take around 3 MONTHS for the gluten that's already in your body to leave. So don't give up, if you really wanna see if gluten-free will make a difference. It takes a pretty hefty time commitment before you'll see the results.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh why not?

I try not to post too frequently - like twice a day - because I don't want anyone to stop reading my blog! But I can't help myself. I'm watching the biggest loser. This is dangerous for me because it's so inspiring that I want to get out and do all this crazy stuff to get healthier. I think that what I'm doing is probably sufficient for the time being. However I do have some different things I want to try once I've gotten a bit further with my couch to 5k program. Here's my list so far: Water Aerobics - I started to do this once and I loved it, but then I had a bunch of snafus that prevented me from getting into it regularly. I think that these can be resolved now since we've moved and I got a card for the local parks and rec. Some form of Martial Arts - I did this some as a teenager and I really enjoyed it. Problem is that it's not cheap and it's a bit embarrassing to do as an adult in a beginner class. I'm sure they have classes for t...

If only I had stuck with it

While we were in Los Angeles this last weekend we went to visit Paul's cousin Emily (Hi Emily!), her husband Nick, and their daughter Kate. She had asked me how the exercise was going and I told her that it was hard but I needed to stick it out. We ended up talking about all of the things we've started but quit somewhere along the way. And I started thinking about what it would be like if I'd just stuck to weight watchers or an exercise routine or any of the things I've started that would have had me looking and feeling better by now. There's a book by Malcolm Gladwell called "Outliers". Gladwell talks about a study by Anders Ericsson that shows most people that have mastered a skill have had to spend 10,000 in their life up to that point practicing and working on that skill. I've always considered this relevant to my career but I've never really related it to my weight loss goals. But now I am. If I want to not only improve and succeed at takin...

Three Realizations

1. I stopped at the restroom in the hotel by the waterfront on my way to dragon boat practice tuesday. There's a full length mirror there. As I came out of the stall to wash my hands I noticed my reflection in it to the side of me. On my way out I stopped in disbelief. I was wearing a very form fitting tank top that dries quickly. Usually I expect to look like a stuffed sausage in it. But I didn't. I had to turn to the side and turn back again to make sure the mirror wasn't at an angle or something that would make me seem thinner. But it wasn't. I actually look better in my clothes. 2. On the way home from dragon boat practice I was thinking about this and also thinking about how I'm tired of counting calories. It occurred to me that I only have to count vigilantly until I weigh what I want to weight. And since I don't, I need to keep doing it. I would be devastated if I gained any weight back. I've reached this point in my dieting many times before. The d...